1. Use knowledge of word order and in-sentence context clues to support word identification and to define unknown words while reading.
2. Determine the meaning and pronunciation of unknown words using a beginner's dictionary, glossaries and technology.
3. Establish a purpose for reading (e.g., to be informed, to follow directions or to be entertained).
4. Summarize text by recalling main ideas and some supporting details.
5. Answer literal, inferential and evaluative questions to demonstrate comprehension of grade-appropriate print texts, electronic and visual media.
6. Produce informal writings (e.g., messages, journals, notes, poems) for various purposes.
7. Identify important information, and write brief notes about the information.
8. Report important findings to others.
Retrieved from the Ohio Department of Education