AN ANTARCTIC ANIMAL ADVENTURE
a Webquest for 3rd grade
Have you ever wondered what the North Pole/Antarctica looked like? And what types of animals reside in Antarctica? Today you and your group will take part in the Arctic Polar Bear Scavenger Hunt.
After reading the book, Polar Bears by Dorothy Patent, you will work with a group of 3 people to complete the following:
* Arctic Polar Bear Scavenger Hunt
* Print out a map of Antarctica
* Locate Antarctica and the Arctic Circle on the globe
* View pictures of Antarctica and polar bears
* Experiment on what it's like to have a layer of blubber to keep warm
* computer- PC or MAC
* access to the Internet via Netscape or Explorer
* Patent, D. (2000). Polar Bears. Minneapolis, MN: Carolrhoda Books, Inc.
* Scavenger Hunt activity sheet
* Crisco (or other fat)
* zippable sandwich bags (2 per student)
* Bowl of ice water with ice cubes (children can share)
* Internet sites (bookmark the following web sites):
Information about polar bears:
Map of Antarctica:
Blubber Mitten Activity:
Pictures of Antarctica:
Pictures of Polar Bears:
Follow these steps to complete you quest:
1. As a class we will read Polar Bears by Dorothy Patent.
2. Locate Antarctica and the Arctic Circle on the globe with the rest of the class.
3. Your teacher will divide the class up into groups of 3. With your group, complete the following:
a. print out a map of Antarctica at this site:
b. View pictures of Antarctica at these sites:
c. View pictures of polar bears at these sites:
** At the website below, there are over 900 pictures of polar bears! Click on only a few pictures you want to view. Don't spend all of your time here!!
d. Print out 1 copy of the Arctic Polar Bear Scavenger Hunt here. As you research the sites below, answer each question on your activity sheet.
e. When your group is done completing the scavenger hunt, print out a copy of the Blubber Mitten Activity at this site:
** Your teacher will direct you as to when to complete the experiment. The entire class will perform the experiment together.
** If you finish earlier than the rest of the class, go back and view more pictures of Antarctica and polar bears.
You will be evaluated by the teacher and your partners on the following:
Partner Evaluation: Circle YES or NO
1. My partner helped with the research. YES NO
2. My partner helped complete the activity sheet. YES NO
3. My partner worked cooperatively with me. YES NO
Teacher Evaluation: 1=no 2=attempted 3=accomplished
1. The student stayed on task. 1 2 3
2. The student completed all the tasks. 1 2 3
3. The student worked cooperatively with the group members. 1 2 3
4. The Scavenger Hunt was completed. 1 2 3
* Grade the scavenger hunt following the rubric:
2 for a correct answer
1 for a partially correct answer
0 for an incorrect answer
28-32 points- A 17-21 points- C 11 points and below- F
23-27 points- B 12-16 points- D
Our trip through Antartica has been very informational. You now have a clear idea of the many characteristics of polar bears and what Antartica looks like!
Created by Meghan Hickey, Fall 2000
Bowling Green State University Graduate Student
Pagemaster / Disclaimer
ARCTIC POLAR BEAR SCAVENGER HUNT
As each item is found, write your answer in the spaces provided. Work together in you group to help each other complete the task.
1. What types of food do polar bears eat?
2. What is one way polar bears capture seals?
3. What are female polar bears called?
4. What are male polar bears called?
5. Do polar bears hibernate? (circle one) YES NO
6. Do polar bears drink water? (circle one) YES NO
7. What do polar bears do during cold winter months?
8. How do polar bears swim?
9. How much does a female polar bear weigh? (circle one)
a. 330-550 lbs. b. 100-200 lbs. c. 750-900 lbs.
10. How much does a male polar bear weigh? (circle one)
a. 200-400 lbs. b. 775-1,500 lbs. c. 500-700 lbs.
11. Are polar bears smart animals? (circle one) YES NO
12. How do polar bears stay warm in the winter?
13. What type of mammal is the polar bear?
14. What does the word "Arctic" mean?
15. How many layers of fur do polar bears have?
16. How do polar bears communicate with one another?
ANSWER KEY FOR ACTIVITY SHEET
1. meat, seals, walruses
2. Polar bears wait by one of the seals breathing holes and when the seal rises for air, the polar bear attacks. Polar bears also stalk the seals in early summer. The bear crawls slowly towards the seal and pounces on the seal, killing it.
7. den up
8. dog-paddle with head and back above water; forepaws are partially webbed
12. well insulated; blubber 4-5 inches thick
13. marine mammal
14. "country of the great bear"
16. growls, roars, wags head side to side, stand on hind legs, hiss, snort, chuff.