BGSU Historic Campus Tour
Erected in 1938 as part of a Public Works' Administration project, many considered the Natatorium among the best of its kind in Ohio. Although many of the other universities in Ohio had swimming pools, Bowling Green's Natatorium was the most modern, largest, and well-equipped of any in the state. From 1939-78, the Natatorium played host to NCAA and Olympic swim meets, Swan Club performances, Physical Education swimming classes, and community swimming classes. The University tore
|down the Natatorium in 1978 to make way for the construction of the Gertrude Eppler Health and Physical Education Complex.|
Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:
- 1937, the Ohio House of Representatives passes an extension to a Public Works Administration contract for two years to allow for the completion of the construction of a Women's Physical Education facility and swimming pool on the campus of Bowling Green State College.
- 1938, construction completed of $110,438 Natatorium seating 550 to 600 people and housing a swimming pool 35 feet by 75 feet in area, and 3 to 9 feet deep with underwater and surface lighting.
- 1938, the first NCAA swimming competitions, Swan Club performances, and Physical Education swimming classes held in Natatorium.
- 1946, first community swimming classes held.
- 1979-80, Natatorium torn down to make way for Gertrude Eppler Health and Physical Education Complex.