BGSU Historic Campus Tour
As the University population expanded greatly throughout the 1930s and 1940s, student eating facilities became overcrowded. Overtime, the strain placed on the facilities forced administrators into taking action. Thus, in order to relieve this pressure, a Camp Perry mess hall was purchased by the University and moved to campus in 1947. The wood frame building contained two dining halls and a kitchen. In 1947, conversion ended and students could participate in a "meal ticket system" or "pay-as-you-go" system of dining. After that time, the Commons served
|a supplementary function to the university dining system and increased the dining options available to students, faculty, and administrators on campus. In 2011, the 1963 structure was demolished, to make room for a new dining facility. A brief outline of the Master Plan is summarized in the Monitor.|
Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:
- 1946, Board of Trustees approves conversion of a GI training facility into a cafeteria.
- 1947, conversion/construction complete of the "mess hall" for nearly $3,000.
- 1958, renovation completed. Improvements included lowering of dining hall height, partitions added splitting the dining halls, new draperies added, asphalt tile floors added, as well as new trays, tables, and chairs added to the halls.
- 1963, Commons was demolished and replaced by a two-story brick building, completed at a final cost of $1.5 million. "Commons" now consists of a recreation room, dining area with four sections, a laundromat, and air-conditioning. The west side, formerly a dining hall, became headquarters for Campus Police and Parking and Traffic.
- 2000, cooling tower and chiller replaced in August.
- 2001, roof replacement.
- 2004, ADA ramp completed.
- 2005, basement renovation project for Public Safety/Parking Services.
- 2011, Commons demolished, replaced by Carillon Place Dining Center.