BGSU Historic Campus Tour
In 1949, a number of students went to the administration of the University requesting the construction of a church where the students could worship. In 1949, the Board of Trustees approved construction of such a facility and, in 1951, they officially dedicated the building to Frank J. Prout, Trustee from 1934-1939 and president from 1939-1951. Since that time, Prout Chapel has been the center of religious worship on campus. Additionally, many university social groups, including sororities and fraternities, have used the church for dances, serenades, and official ceremonies. Prout Chapel was built with a state
appropriation, supplemented with funds from Sidney Frohman of Sandusky, Ohio who also sponsored the Sidney Frohman Scholarship Fund for the College of Business Administration.
Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building: