BGSU Historic Campus Tour
|Construction of the Women's Physical Education Building on the campus of the University was undertaken in order to provide female students with a place where they could take part in physical exercise. The Men's Gymnasium came into existence in 1927, and the Women's Gymnasium was to give women a comparable opportunity for physical and mental improvement. Pursuant to this goal, the Women's Physical Education Building has been the center of Physical Education for female students throughout|
|the University's history. Additionally, the building has occasionally relieved some of the pressure overpopulation has placed on the University periodically throughout its existence. Ultimately, this building served as the center of Physical Education for women, until 1979-80 at which time renovation connected it to the nearby Men's Gymnasium. This resulted in the creation of an entirely new complex for the newly created Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, named for retired faculty member Gertrude Eppler.|
Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:
- 1938, Ohio's House of Representatives passes legislation extending the Public Works Administration's contract for two years to complete construction of a Women's Physical Education Complex on the campus of Bowling Green State College.
- 1938, Ohio State Legislature earmarks $112,500 for a PWA project to construct a Women's Physical Education Building and swimming pool on the campus of BGSC.
- 1939, construction of a Women's Gymnasium, including a basketball court, shuffle board court, 4 badminton courts, a cage for indoor Golf, as well as classrooms and offices to be used by the Women's Physical Education Department, completed at a final cost of $250,000.
- 1939, Women's Gymnasium officially dedicated.
- 1939, first women's physical education classes held in building.
- 1939, new furnishings purchased and placed in interior of building.
- 1943, provides housing for freshmen girls as well as Sigma Rho Tau and Phi Mu sororities to relieve pressure from on-campus housing shortage.
- 1951, women housed in building to relieve on-campus housing shortage.
- 1975-77, Ohio Legislature designates funds for renovation of Physical Education Buildings on the campus of Bowling Green State University.
- 1979-80, renovation completed connecting Women's and Men's Gymnasium and forming a new building for use by the newly created Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Department for $1.2 million.
- 2003, Gymnasium in Eppler North named in honor of Dorothy M. Luedtke.