Student Health Center
Continue Walking Tour | Administration Tour
|The University Health Center was originally housed in Johnston Hall beginning with its construction in 1942 to provide medical assistance for 2,000 students. It contained 31 regular beds, 16 dorm beds, and over flow room for 9 more. However, by the late 1960s, this facility could not provide sufficient care for the full number of students, and administrators approved construction of a new, and larger, Health Center. Since this new health center's completion in 1967, it has been the focal point of medical care on-campus. Moreover, the building has provided a point of location for a variety of academic departments, space for student housing, and a location for the University's "Wellness Center."|
Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:
- 1942, original Health Center constructed.
- 1965, Board of Trustees approves construction of a new Health Center.
- 1967, new $1 million Health Center constructed to house 42 men, 42 women, as well as providing space for the mentally ill, physical therapy rooms, psychiatric offices, and dental offices.
- 1977, due to a boom in enrollment, along with the closing of inpatient services at the Heath Center, the University decided to convert the second floor of the Health Center into a temporary men's dormitory. When the dormitory area was no longer needed it became office space for faculty and administration.
- 1980, "Wellness Center" opens.
- 1998, $10 million renovation completed. Improvements include asbestos removal, major renovations, second floor housing for the departments of Criminal Justice, Environmental Health, Gerontology, Public Health, Social Work, Communication Disorders, and three suites for physical therapy rooms with access to closed-circuit television.
- 1999, second floor renovation complete and all mechanical corrective work approved.
- 2010, addition and renovation.