Student Recreation Center
Continue Walking Tour | Athletics Tour
The Board of Trustees approved plans for the construction of the Recreation Center with the idea that the center would provide a place for students to gather in times of boredom. Similarly, the university administration believed the center could provide opportunity to the students to better themselves physically and mentally. Since that time, the Recreation Center has been, arguably, the most popular building on-campus among students for the purpose of recreation. Indeed, it remains one of the finest facilities of its kind in the state of Ohio.
Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:
- 1976, Board of Trustees approves plans for construction of a $6 million recreational facility. The facility would include an "olympic" size swimming pool, club pool, 190 yd. banked running track, 240' by 117' multipurpose sports center, 14 handball courts, golf room, 2 exercise rooms, 3 weight rooms, locker rooms.
- 1979, construction completed.
- 1988, renovation completed. Improvements included refinishing and painting the handball and racquetball courts, refinishing the sports center, activity center floors, upgrading Andrews Pool, installation of 4 aerobicycles, and 2 electronic "life rowers."
- 1990, renovation completed at a final cost of $200,000. Improvements included 6 stationary bicycles and 2 stair-step machines.
- 1999, painting, carpeting, and women's shower room renovations.
- 2001, pool filter replacement, tile replacement, and HVAC installation.