BGSU Historic Campus Tour
The effort of the University administration to expand housing on campus to meet the increase in the population of students had largely reached its goal by the mid-1960s. The Board of Trustees approved construction of a quadrangle dormitory
|to be the final installment in this process. Since that time, Kreischer Quadrangle has been home to many students and holds the title as including one of the first co-educational dormitories on campus. Throughout its existence, Kreischer Quadrangle has served a vital role in providing housing for students on-campus despite its distance from most classroom buildings.|
Listed below are additional highlights in the history of the building:
- 1965, Board of Trustees approves construction of the building.
- 1966, construction completed at a final cost of $6.5 million.
- 1967, the entire building and the four connected dormitories officially dedicated as Kreischer Quadrangle and James M. Ashley, Ann Batchelder, the Compton family, and Clarence S. Darrow Halls respectively.
- 1971, Darrow Hall becomes first co-educational dormitory on campus.
- 1973, Compton becomes a female hall.
- 1989, renovation completed at a final cost of approximately $500,000. Improvements included re-carpeting and re-furnishing with new furniture of the interior of the buildings of the quad.
- 1996, renovation completed at a final cost of $15 million. Improvements included replacement of the window coverings, new carpeting, re-painting, construction of handicap facilities, replacement of fire/smoke alarms, refurbishing of the bathrooms, replacement of the hot water heater, modernization of the computer networks, and computer labs.
- 1997, renovation completed at a final cost of $50,000. Improvements included installation of expansion joints in heating units.
- 2002, refrigeration cooling tower replaced.
- 2002, replacement of two condensate removal stations and replacement of steam pressure reducing station.
- 2002, replacement of six unreliable hot water heaters serving the kitchen and residence hall.
- 2006, lobby renovation, roof replacement
- 2007, courtyard entrance renovation