Records Manual: Records Officer
An effective Records Management Program requires the cooperation of all university offices and departments. Each unit should appoint or designate a records management officer who will be the liaison with the Records Management Program.
The unit Records Management officer is charged with the following responsibilities:
- Maintain control over confidential records, including their access, storage, and disposal;
- Organize and supervise the periodic weeding of departmental files;
- Assist University Archives staff in setting retention periods for unscheduled records;
- Serve as the liaison with the University Archives for all transactions pertaining to the department's records;
- Provide reasonable access to the department's non-confidential records;
- Identify and oversee the transfer of permanent records to the University Archives;
- Provide for the orderly and adequate storage of inactive and temporary records in consultation with the University Archives.
The University Archives maintains an e-mail list to distribute records information to unit Records Management officers and to foster discussion about records related matters. To subscribe to the RMO list, please contact the University Archives at (419) 372-2411.