Spirit & Traditions: School Colors
The historical story behind how BGSU began using brown and orange as its school colors dates back to 1914. Dr. Homer B. Williams, the University's first president, gathered a group of people, which included Dr. Leon L. Winslow from the industrial arts department, as a selection committee for the school's new colors. While on an interurban (or trolley) ride to Toledo, Dr. Winslow sat behind a woman wearing a large hat adorned with beautiful brown and orange feathers. He was so interested in the color scheme that his committee recommended to the Board of Trustees they approve the combination of burnt orange and seal brown.