People: John E. Shatzel
John Edward Shatzel
Board of Trustees
John Edward Shatzel served Bowling Green State University as a member of its first Board of Trustees from 1915 to 1925, acting as Secretary (1915-1918) and President (1921-1925). Born in Upper Sandusky, Shatzel moved with his family to North Baltimore where he became the proprietor of the North Baltimore Times in 1892. The following year, Shatzel moved to Bowling Green to study law with the firm Baldwin and Harrington, where he became a specialist in corporate and tax law. As an active member of the Bowling Green community, he was elected Mayor of Bowling Green in 1898. Mr. Shatzel also served as president of the Bowling Green Chautauqua organization, and was the Vice President of the Wood County Fair Board.
The second residence hall on campus, Shatzel Hall, was named in his honor.
- News articles in BG News
- pUA 1053. Rededication Program.
- Obituary. Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune, May 3, 1930