People: Gertrude Eppler
Gertrude M. Eppler, Professor Emerita of Health, was a member of the Bowling Green State University faculty beginning in 1941. She served as Chair of the Women’s Division of the Health and Physical Education Department from its inception in 1943 until her retirement in 1969. A native of Chelsea, Michigan, Eppler was a key leader in the growth of the department, which expanded from a staff of three employees to twenty full-time instructors at the time of her retirement. Known for her sense of humor and dedication to the students, Eppler taught classes including synchronized swimming, fencing, and fishing. The original buildings where she conducted her classes included the women’s and men’s gymnasiums, and the Natatorium, now the site of the Physical Education Complex named in her honor.
- News articles in BG News
- pUA 1046. Gertrude M. Eppler Physical Education Complex Dedication