BGSU Trivia Quiz #8 - Answers
BGSU Trivia was created for the 75th Anniversary of Bowling Green State University in 1985. Similar in play to the popular game, "Trivial Pursuit", questions were organized into six categories-people, sports, places, odds-n-ends, campus life, and history. To mark the Centennial celebration of the University, the Center for Archival Collections will present a quiz each month, featuring two questions from each of the categories. An interactive version is also available. Test your knowledge and have fun!
- What is the traditional color for graduation gowns?
- c) Black. The 1930 KEY reports that the gowns worn by the Class of 1929 were black and blue.
- The first college yearbook was published in 1918 and promised to be an annual event. BG’s first yearbook was
- b) The Bee Gee. The Bee Gee was not published again. The first KEY was published in 1924.
- The Harold Tinapple Award is presented each year to an outstanding student in Biology. The award is named after a BGSU Professor of
- d) Mathematics
- Established in 1970, this distinction recognizes professors who have made a substantial contribution to a number of fields and have received national and even international recognition. What is this title?
- a) University Professor
- A faculty member’s academic hood includes not only the color of his academic discipline but also the colors of the school
- c) Where he/she received graduate degree
- What exit number do you take off I-75 to BGSU via Wooster Street?
- b) Exit 181
- Which of the following quadrangles does not have individual names for its units?
- d) Rodgers
- The first commencement of Bowling Green State Normal College was held in 1915. Where was this event held?
- e) Chidester Theatre was located on the east side of South Main Street. It was built as an opera house in 1889. Later it was a vaudeville house and named the Del-Mar. The Del-Mar burned in 1926.
- What was the size of Bowling Green’s first graduating class in 1915?
- a) 35. Answers B, C, and D are the numbers of graduates for each of the three subsequent years.
- Which of the following is the highest level of academic honors that can be received by a graduate?
- d) Summa cum laude
- He was a member of the first BG football team, first letterman in tennis, founder of Homecoming, gave BG the nickname Falcons, for 30 years, sports editor of Bowling Green’s Sentinel-Tribune
- c) Ivan “Doc” Lake
- In what year did Bowling Green begin awarding athletic scholarships to women?
- b) 1976