Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Bruce Bellard Papers - MS 1149
The Bruce Bellard Collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections on October 28, 2010 by his wife Mary Anne Bellard. This collection spans the dates from 1939 through the year 2000 and includes correspondence, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, awards, programs, photographs and personal items. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and scholarly research. The register was prepared by BGSU Graduate Student, Joy L. Bennett, and revised by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in June 2011.
Originally from Bellevue, Ohio, Bruce Bellard came to Bowling Green to attend the University, having participated in football, swimming and track in high school. He decided to attend BGSU because the excellence of the education and athletic programs would facilitate his dreams of becoming a coach. His college education was interrupted by four years of service in the United States Navy during World War II, volunteering the day after Pearl Harbor and called to duty three months later as an aircraft mechanic. He returned to BGSU in 1946 and received his bachelors’ degree while playing football. He was then hired by the University as a staff member in the Health and Physical Education and Athletic Department. He coached football from 1948-1960, and wrestling from the 1950s-1970s.
Upon his retirement from teaching full time at BGSU, Bellard pursued a second career in local government, running for City Council in 1972. He remained on the council until 1983 when he was appointed Mayor. His term as Mayor lasted until 1987 when he retired from his career as a politician.
Mr. Bellard is probably also well remembered for his efforts involving drivers’ education. He was a member of many local groups and associations and was presented with many awards for his achievements and service to the community. He died in 2010.
The collection begins with Bruce Bellard’s high school athletic career and follows him to BGSU, his coaching, teaching, retirement and his life as an elected official for the City of Bowling Green. The collection includes correspondence, faculty reports, mayoral reports, scrapbooks, campaign information, photos and awards.
Much of the correspondence to Federal and state elected officials involves financial contributions, his feelings on potential bills and tax proposals (Federal Aviation Administration and the IRS Project from the 1970s), and letters of recommendation for the Military Academy, as well as congratulations on reelection and retirement.
His papers include his research for his master’s thesis on physical education being mandatory for graduation, as well as some notes from classes he taught at BGSU. His coaching days are well represented with newspaper clippings and scrapbooks detailing wins. Bellard was also extremely involved in promoting Drivers Education and encouraging this to be a mandatory program for young drivers. Many of his papers and talks are included in the collection.
His letters from his positions on the city council and as mayor include personal correspondence, requests for public speaking, and personal views on potential voting in city affairs.
Letters from all levels of government from the President of the United States to the City Council of Bowling Green. Some correspondence also includes his time at BGSU in the Athletic Department. Also included are personal letters congratulating Bellard on awards received, and retirement.
Mayor Bellard’s annual report to the council.
RESEARCH NOTES FOR THESIS
Notes and copies of written thesis for Bellard’s Masters Degree of Graduate level study.
Copies of articles and notes written by Bruce Bellard regarding coaching, drivers education and teaching.
Notes used for lectures when Bellard was teaching at BGSU.
Copies of Marriage Certificates of people he married during his tenure as Mayor of Bowling Green.
Records from his various campaigns for public office.
EMPLOYEE CONTRACTS, BGSU
Copy of employee contracts and information from his time at BGSU.
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL
Scrapbooks include Football, Wrestling, Swimming, Basketball, Softball, Drivers Education, and election to city council.
Clippings include Wrestling, BGSU, Elections, Campaign Ads, mentions as Mayor, mentions in City Council, and miscellaneous articles.
Various certificates, awards and trophies won for service and achievement. Many three dimensional awards represented in photographic form or with the engraved plate only
FLYERS AND PROGRAMS
Various programs to events he attended or was invited to, as well as protest flyers he kept.
Various photographs of events, personal and professional.
Artifacts relating to the City of Bowling Green and BGSU Sports, including Letterman’s Sweater and blanket.
- Correspondence: Federal, 1964-1989
- Correspondence: United States Senate, 1974-2000
- Correspondence: United States House of Representatives, 1978-2000
- Correspondence: Governor of Ohio, 1975-1989
- Correspondence: State of Ohio, 1973-1987
- Correspondence: Ohio Senate, 1976-1993
- Correspondence: Ohio House of Representatives, 1973-1987
- Correspondence: Wood County, 1975-1996
- Correspondence: Mayor of Bowling Green, 1982-1987
- Correspondence: Student Thank You letters as Mayor, 1984-1987
- Correspondence: City Council of Bowling Green, 1973-1981
- Correspondence: Induction into BGSU Hall of Fame, 1984
- Correspondence Bowling Green State University Athletic Department, 1942-1983
- Correspondence: Regarding Michael Clark, 1971
- Correspondence: with Clippings, 1981-1987
- Correspondence: Miscellaneous, 1976-1985
- Correspondence: Miscellaneous Cards, n.d.
- Correspondence: Retirement, n.d.
- Mayors Annual Report, 1986
- Thesis/Graduate Study, 1953-1954
- Articles written by Bellard, n.d.
- Teaching Notes, n.d.
- Marriage Certificates, 1983-1988
- Campaign Records, 1973-1988
- BGSU Employee Contracts, 1950s-1980s
- News Articles: BGSU, 1940s-1980s
- News Articles: Wrestling, 1940s-1970s
- News Articles: Election, 1973-1989
- News Articles: Campaign Ads, 1973-1989
- News Articles: Mayor, 1982-1987
- News Articles: City Council, 1973-1981
- News Articles: Other, n.d.
- News Articles: Mercy Bowl, 1961
- Certificates, 1943-1998
- Trophies and Plaques Photographs– (some original plating can be found in box 10), nd
- Protest Flyers, n.d.
- Campaign Ads, 1973-1989
- Press Releases, nd
- Assorted Programs
- 50th Wedding Anniversary Announcements
- BGSU Summer Sports
- Driver’s Education Scrapbook, 1952-1971
- Football, Swimming, Basketball and Softball Scrapbook, 1939-1940
- Wrestling Scrapbook, 1956-1958
- Wrestling Scrapbook, 1959
- Running for Council Election Scrapbook, 1971
- Wrestling Scrapbook, 1969-1971
- Wrestling Scrapbook, 1960-1970
- Wrestling Scrapbook, 1954-1957
- Swimming Scrapbook, 1940-1941
- Cal-Poly Football Team Plane Crash Scrapbook, 1960
- Football Scrapbook, 1947-1961
- From the Wrestling Team Scrapbook, 1970s
- BGSU Football Programs, 1940s-1970s
- Wood County Democratic Party Programs, 1977-1984
- Mid American Conference Wrestling Champions Materials, 1970
- Bowling Green Sesquicentennial, 1983
- Cooper Pool Dedication, 1979
- Eppler Complex Dedication, 1981
- Doyt Perry Golf Outing, 1981-1985
- Miscellaneous Programs for Various Dedications, 1977-1998
- BGSU Athletic Hall of Fame, 1965-1986
- Wrestling Flyers/Programs1970s-1980s
- Winter Sports Banquet1973-1974
- Ohio High School Athletic Association, 1979
- BGSU Homecoming/Reunion of the 1940s Program,1991
- Membership Cards, 1977
- Citizen of the Year, 1981
- Drivers Education, 1975-1988
- High School Reunion: Belleview, 2004
- Ohio Wrestling Hall of Fame, 1979
- Alumnus of the Year, 1998
- Kappa Delta Pi, 1976
- Omicron Delta Kappa, 1977
- Inspiration Poems and Sayings, N.D.
- Belleview, Ohio, n.d..
- Navy Service, 1942-1946
- Jail-N-Bail, n.d.
- College of Education, 1975-1983
- Presidential Visits, 1971-1996
- Political Papers, 1981-1993
- Rotary Club, 1983
- Kiwanis Club, 1973
- National Wrestling Hall of Fame, 2009
- Varsity BG Club, 1969-1970
- Bellard Park, 1980
- Biographical Information, n.d.
- History of BGSU Athletics, n.d.
- Wood County Airport, n.d.
- Scott Hamilton, 1980s
- Photographs, n.d.
- Sports Related Artifacts, n.d.
- City of Bowling Green Related Artifacts, n.d.
Box 10 (Oversize)Folder
- Oversized Certificates
- Plating from Plaques and Trophies
- Oversized Photos
- Curled Photos
Box 11 (Artifacts)Folder
- Ohio Wrestling Hall of Fame Trophy, 1979
- Bowling Green Athletic Hall of Fame Plaque, 1985
- Athletic Department Achievement Plaque, n.d.
Box 12 (Artifacts)
- Wood County Plaque
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy