Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Zion Chapel United Methodist Church (Bucyrus, Ohio) - MS 1041 mf
The records from Zion Chapel United Methodist Church, Bucyrus, Ohio were transferred to the Center for Archival Collections for microfilming in September 2005 with the cooperation of Reverend Jill Roberts, Jenny Burton and Mary Fox. Also included with this collection are records from Liberty Chapel, Biddle Church and Union Church.
Zion Chapel United Methodist Church is a merged congregation made up of Zion United Methodist Church, Bucyrus and Liberty Chapel. The two congregations merged in 1982 after Liberty Chapel celebrated its centennial.
The first Zion class was organized in 1853 and a frame structure was built and dedicated in 1856 as the Zion Church of the Evangelical Association. In 1894 a brick building was built to replace the original structure. The current church was built and dedicated in 1965.
The land for the Liberty Chapel was purchased from the Henry Crall Jr. family in 1848. At this time the church was called the United Brethren in Christ. The first church was built in 1882. In 1956 Liberty Chapel joined with Biddle Evangelical United Brethren and became part of the Liberty Chapel Circuit. In 1960 the two churches were part of the Bucyrus East Circuit, then in 1965 the Biddle Church was discontinued and memberships were transferred to the Liberty Chapel Church.
Zion Chapel United Methodist Church will close its doors June 30, 2006. At this time it will merge with Grace United Methodist Church in Bucyrus, OH.
The above history was compiled based on information obtained from Zion Chapel United Methodist Church, the Mansfield District East Ohio Conference United Methodist Church Local Church Directory (revised April 1996) and from information provided by Carol Holliger, archivist, Archives of Ohio United Methodism, Beeghley Library, Ohio Wesleyan University.
Zion Chapel United Methodist Church
- Church Record (Zion Evangelical United Brethren), 1904 – 1983
- Church Record, 1924 – 2000
- Church Record, 1980 – 1992
- Women’s Missionary Society (Union/Zion Evangelical), 1911; 1927 - 1934
- Cradle Roll Cards, 1927 – 1971
- Certificates of Baptism/Preparatory Membership, 1971 – 2000
- Certificates of Baptism, 1979 – 1992
- Certificates of Transfer, 1974 – 1990
- Certificate of Membership, April 3, 1977
- Quarterly Conference Minutes, 1858 – 1877
- United Brethren Sabbath School Records (Liberty/Crall), 1863 - 1868; 1872 – 1873
- United Brethren Sabbath School Records (Liberty/Crall), 1866 – 1868
- Sabbath School Records (Crall Church) , 1869
- United Brethren Sabbath School Records (Liberty/Crall), 1873 – 1874
- United Brethren Sabbath School Records (Liberty), 1875 – 1878
- Trustee Minutes (Liberty Chapel), 1869 - 1955
- Record of Proceedings of the Board of Parsonage Trustees of the U.B. Church, 1904 – 1929
- Handy Sunday School Record, 1913
- Handy Sunday School Record, 1914
- Handy Sunday School Record, 1915 - 1916
- Membership Register & Church Records, 1929 – 1990
- Wedding Scrapbook, 1932 – 1968
- Certificates of Transfer, 1974 – 1981
- Certificates of Transfer, 1975 - 1982
- Biddle Evangelical United Brethren Booklet, 
- Church Record (Biddle Church of the United Brethren in Christ), 1854 – 1976
- Sabbath School Records (Biddle United Brethren), 1905 - 1909
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy