Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Delta Kappa Gamma. Alpha Delta State Branch - MS 1109
The records of the Alpha Delta State branch of Delta Kappa Gamma Society International were donated to the Center for Archival Collections by the Ohio Historical Society in 1985. The collection primarily consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, workshop programs, and additional northwest Ohio yearbooks.
No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. This finding aid was prepared by Jessica Schmidt, graduate student, in March 2009.
Alpha Delta State represents the entire state of Ohio within the Delta Kappa Gamma Society International. It is a professional honorary society for female educators within Ohio. Alpha Delta became the 27th state organization of Delta Kappa Gamma on January 22, 1938.
Delta Kappa Gamma Society International was founded on May 11, 1929 at the University of Texas in Austin. The main objectives and goals of Delta Kappa Gamma are to further the status of female educators and offer advanced opportunities of scholarship, fellowship, and professionalism. Membership is offered by invitation only to women who distinguish themselves both in the education profession and in their personal community.
The purposes of the Ohio’s Alpha Delta State are:
- TO UNITE women educators of the world in a genuine spiritual fellowship
- TO HONOR women who have given or who evidence a potential for distinctive service in any field of education
- TO ADVANCE the professional interest and position of women in education
- TO INITIATE, ENDORSE AND SUPPORT desirable legislation or other suitable endeavors in the interests of education and of women educators
- TO ENDOW scholarships to aid outstanding women educators in pursuing graduate study and to grant fellowships to women educators from other countries
- TO STIMULATE the personal and professional growth of members and to encourage their participation in appropriate programs of action
- TO INFORM the members of current economic, social, political, and educational issues so that they may participate effectively in a world society
Today, 117 local chapters of Delta Kappa Gamma and approximately 7,500 members are located within Alpha Delta State.
The collection of the Alpha Delta State of Delta Kappa Gamma consists of meeting minutes, various member lists, handbook, legislative updates, correspondence, committee reports, news clippings, convention information, workshop programs, additional northwest Ohio yearbooks, music books, and various artifacts. The most comprehensive documents include meeting minutes, correspondence, and workshop programs. Additionally, the music books provide and interesting look at the values and morals invested in the organization.
The meeting minutes pertain to the executive board, advisory committee, and general business committees. The records only exist for a very limited time period between 1979 and 1987. Each meeting’s minutes are typed and describe the meeting place, attendance, reports by the treasurer and other committees, old and new business, and any additional announcements. These records would be an excellent source because of their all encompassing information; however, the date limitations make the records only significant if the specific time period is being researched.
Correspondence materials include communication between executive board committee members and local state chapter presidents regarding various matters including annual conventions, workshops, membership, and financial matters. As with meeting minute materials, the correspondence is limited to a small time frame between 1979 and 1989.
Workshop programs are available from 1981-1987. These programs were all state sponsored events that covered topics such as music within the chapter and being members of a global society. The programs themselves include information regarding the workshops, including community involvement, self-awareness, and understandings within Delta Kappa Gamma, promotion of fellowship between members, music suggestions, and program planning sheets for implementation within local chapters.
Essentially, this collections most significant weakness is the short period of time covered. In order to better understand the records and their context, researchers should also consult the Nu Chapter and Delta Rho Chapter collections of Delta Kappa Gamma. These chapters are both located in northwest Ohio and operated under the Alpha Delta State.
EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING MINUTES.
Includes meeting minutes from the executive board of Alpha Delta State. These minutes cover attendance, old and new business, and committee reports.
ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES.
Includes meeting minutes which cover attendance, professional growth, upcoming programs, committee reports, and membership matters.
GENERAL BUSINESS MEETING MINUTES.
It appears either this committee did not meet extensively, or the records are not complete. Includes minutes covering upcoming conventions, national, and international business.
VARIOUS MEMBER LISTS.
1979-1986, n.d. (various)
Includes lists of state officers, chapter presidents, and chapter officers throughout the state.
HANDBOOK FOR LEGISLATIVE ACTION.
Handbook for a chapter’s Legislative Chair to help other members understand new bills and procedures issued among the entire chapter, state, or national organization.
A series of legislative updates relevant to both organization procedures and also state and national governmental legislation that impacts Delta Kappa Gamma’s educational scope.
Correspondence between Alpha Delta State officials and other organizational members.
REPORT OF THE AD HOC COMMITTEE ON THE IMAGE OF THE WOMAN EDUCATOR.
April 30, 1983
Self-evaluation opinionnaire [sic], results, and interpretation by the committee. Circulated throughout the entire Alpha Delta State and all its chapters.
FINANCIAL REPORT AND PROPOSED BUDGET.
Total expenses for Alpha Delta State during the fiscal year. Also includes a proposed budget for the following year based on previous expenses.
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS
1977, 1981, n.d.
Various newsclippings about Alpha Delta State members.
GRANTS IN AID.
Booklet distributed to all Alpha Delta State members describing scholarships and grants issued to female educators throughout Ohio during the decade.
SUPPLEMENT TO INVESTMENT IN PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL GROWTH.
Supplemental booklet to a five year long program within Alpha Delta State to help develop members both personally and professionally.
ANNUAL CONVENTION PROGRAMS.
Programs detailing itinerary, lectures, and social events associated with the Alpha Delta State annual convention.
CONVENTION HIGHLIGHTS AND ORDER OF BUSINESS.
Summaries of the annual convention and annual reports of all state committees which were presented at the convention.
WORKSHOP PROGRAM: “THE PLACE OF MUSIC IN OUR CHAPTER”.
Alpha Delta State program to assess the use of music within the chapter and how it can be utilized in the classroom.
WORKSHOP PROGRAM: “EXPRESS THE ASPIRATIONS OF A GLOBAL SOCIETY”.
Alpha Delta State program used to broaden global trends and issues within the education system.
WORKSHOP PROGRAM: “FOUNDERS DAY RESOURCE MATERIALS”.
April 27, 1985
Alpha Delta State materials for local chapters to celebrate the organization’s Founder’s Day.
WORKSHOP PROGRAM: “LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT”.
September 7, 1985
Alpha Delta State program to help develop member leadership skills.
Various programs produced by Alpha Delta State for its local chapters.
Various programs produced by Alpha Delta State for its local chapters.
VARIOUS NORTHWEST OHIO YEARBOOKS.
Various dates throughout 1980s
Arranged alphabetically by Greek letter chapter name.
Four folders with annual yearbooks from several northwest Ohio chapters of Delta Kappa Gamma. These chapters include: Kappa (Wyandot-Hardin), Lambda (Crawford-Morrow), Alpha Zeta (Ottawa-Sandusky), Alpha Sigma (Hancock-Seneca), Alpha Tau (Allen), Gamma Gamma (Lucas), Delta Zeta (Defiance-Fulton-Henry-Williams), Delta Xi (Lucas).
MUSIC AND SONGS.
1937, 1981-1982, n.d.
Music books with songs relevant to Delta Kappa Gamma, Alpha Delta State, and Ohio.
Certificates of accomplishment and state committee chairman ribbons.
- Executive Board Meeting Minutes, 1979-1987
- Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes, 1979-1986
- General Business Meeting Minutes, 1980-1985 (various)
- Various Member Lists, 1979-1986, n.d.
- By-Laws of Alpha Delta State, 2005
- Manual of Policies and Procedures of Alpha Delta State, 2006
- Handbook for Legislative Action, 1980
- Legislative Updates, 1982-1983, 1988-1989
- Correspondence, 1979-1989 (various)
- Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Image of the Woman Educator, 4/30/1983
- Financial Report and Proposed Budget, 1981-1982, 1986-1987
- News clippings, 1977, 1981, n.d.
- Grants in Aid, 1960-1970
- Supplement to Investment in Personal and Professional Growth, 1963-1968
- Annual Convention Programs, 1948-1987 (various)
- Convention Highlights and Order of Business, 1980-1981, 1986-1987
- Workshop Program: “The Place of Music in Our Chapter”, 1982-1983
- Workshop Program: “Express the Aspirations of a Global Society”, 1984-1985
- Workshop Program: “Founders Day Resource Materials”, 4/27/1985
- Workshop Program: “Leadership Development”, 9/7/1985
- Various Programs, 1981-1982
- Various Programs, 1984, 1987
- “Ohio’s Torch Bearers: They Kindled the Flame”, 1969
- “Our Heritage in the Delta Kappa Gamma Society II”, 1970
- “1938-1971: Our Years of Progress", 1971
- “A Beacon to the Future: Charting a Course”, 1982?
- Various Northwest Ohio Yearbooks, Kappa Chapter, 1980-1984
- Various Northwest Ohio Yearbooks, Lambda Chapter, 1980-1984
- Various Northwest Ohio Yearbooks, Alpha Zeta Chapter, 1980-1982, n.d.
- Various Northwest Ohio Yearbooks, Alpha Sigma Chapter, 1980-1984
- Various Northwest Ohio Yearbooks, Alpha Tau Chapter, 1980-1984
- Various Northwest Ohio Yearbooks, Gamma Gamma, 1978-1979, 1981-1983
- Various Northwest Ohio Yearbooks, Delta Zeta Chapter, 1980-1982, n.d.
- Various Northwest Ohio Yearbooks, Delta Xi Chapter, 1980-1982
- Music and Songs, 1937, 1981-1982, n.d.
- Artifacts: Ribbons & Certificates, 1984-1987, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy