Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Pemberville, Ohio Photo/Negative Collection - MS 358
The Pemberville, Ohio, Photo/Negative Collection consist of 0.3 linear feet of photographic material related to the history and centennial celebration of the village of Pemberville, Wood County, Ohio. The donation and transfer of these records to the Center for Archival Collections was arranged through the cooperation of David Hampshire of Bowling Green, Ohio, on April 19, 1984. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The collection was processed by Stephen W. Badenhop, Archival Assistant, in October 2008.
The village of Pemberville was named after James Pember, who built the first frame house in the present town in the 1830s. The village was surveyed on May 24, 1854, by S.H. Bell for James Pember. Sawmills and eventually a gristmill were constructed on the site, all owned by Pember. In 1850, Charles Stahler established a general store near the mills. He was followed in the mercantile business by Ira Banks. Growth in the village was slow until the close of the Civil War, but afterwards the village burgeoned. This was due in part to the Toledo and Hocking Valley railroad which was put through the town in 1875. The following year the citizens petitioned the Wood County Commissioners for incorporation which was granted on June 8, 1876. Sewers were constructed in 1890 followed by gas street lights in 1892 and stone sidewalks in 1895. The village continued to grow into the early twentieth century and at present, 2000, has a population of 1,365 individuals with over 500 homes.
The Pemberville, Ohio, Photo/Negative Collection consist of 0.3 linear feet of photographic material related to the history and centennial celebration of the village of Pemberville, Wood County, Ohio. The collection documents the relocation of the Alexander House in the village along with the festivities surrounding the village centennial and the national bicentennial in 1976. Most important in the collection is the photographic documentation of the village of Pemberville as it existed in 1975 and 1976, where various pictures were taken of buildings and street scenes showing the condition of the town. Also, included in the collection are negatives of historical views of the village throughout history from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries including pictures of the 1913 flood. Anyone interested in Pemberville history would find this collection most beneficial in their research as it is an excellent photographic history of Pemberville.
Positive transparencies of village and countryside scenes around the Pemberville area
Photographs of the village Pemberville, both historical and contemporary, documenting the history of Pemberville and the centennial celebration
Negatives of the village of Pemberville, both historical and contemporary, documenting the history of Pemberville and the centennial celebration
- Alexander House, 1975
- Beard Contest, 1976
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church, c1976
- Building Interior, n.d
- Buildings, c1976
- Chicken Barbeque, c1976
- City Hall, 1975
- Civic Club Check, 1976
- Fashion Show, 1976
- Fire, n.d.
- Historical, n.d.
- Historical Society, n.d.
- Kohlenberg Child, 1976
- Pemberville Centennial Coin, 1976
- Pemberville Fair, c1976
- Pemberville Flood, 1913
- People, c1976
- Sewage Treatment Plant, 1974
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, c1976
- Store Scene, c1900
- Unidentified, n.d.
- Village Scenes, 1975
- Village Scenes, c1976
- Village Scenes, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy