Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
St. Paul Lutheran Church (Norwalk, Ohio) - MS 1089
The records of the St. Paul Lutheran Church were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of John H. Schick and Henry Timman.
The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. For restrictions on the duplication of this collection please see the accompanying Note to Researchers.
This introduction was prepared by Kathy Gardner in January 2008.
This introduction was prepared by Kathy Gardner in February 2005.
St. Paul's was organized on June 29, 1851, in Norwalk with sixty-four voting members. A building lot was donated for a church in 1852, and a substantial brick building was completed two years later. It still stands at 92 North Prospect Street. Although it is no longer used as a church, it is the oldest such building still standing in the city.
The congregation started off strong, but can be classified as one which never had a quarrel with any other denomination - it was too busy fighting among itself. The year 1874 found just five voting members remaining, but that number rose to twenty-seven in 1879.
As the struggling group approached the 20th century another decline began due to the use of the German language in worship. "Town" Germans enjoyed their faith, but did not retain their ancestral language in daily life. St. Peter Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1901 in Norwalk as an English-speaking congregation. St. Paul's struggled to stay alive until dissolving in 1935. Just forty members remained at that time.
These two books of church records cover the years 1861 - 1933. There should have been a record book from 1851 - 1861, but it does not appear to exist. These two books were retained by Louis Schick when the church closed in 1935, and have been in the custody of his family until now.
The above history was written by Henry Timman, Norwalk, Ohio.
- Record Book, c. 1861 - 1905
- Constitution & Bylaws
- Record Book, c. 1906 - 1933
- Chronicles (History)
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy