Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Sacred Heart Catholic Church (Bethlehem, Ohio) - MMS 1372 mf
The records of Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church 1924 - 2001 were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in February 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend John Missler of Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church and Frank Beier of the Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio.
The Genealogical Society of Utah edition consists of first communions 1924 - 2000. An edition including baptisms 1924 - 2001 *, first communions 1924 - 2000, confirmations 1925 - 2000, marriages 1925 - 2000 and deaths 1924 - 2001 has been placed at the Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio and the Center for Archival Collections. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Later records for this church dating from 1924 are found in MS 833.
Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series.
This register and this collection were prepared by Jennifer Golis in March 2001.
* There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church began as a station of Peru, OH in 1834. It remained a station of Peru until 1836, when it became a station of Tiffin until 1839. During this time land was purchased for the church and the first church and school was built in 1837. Between 1839 through 1852 several pastors served Sacred Heart of Jesus as a mission.
The first resident pastor came to Bethlehem in 1852, Father Peter Kreusch. In 1853, he oversaw the building of their second church. He also served several missions and stations, including Crestline, Bucyrus, Galion, Loudonville, New Washington, and Mansfield.
A third church and final church was built in 1895 to help serve the growing congregation. Between the years of 1890 and 1967 Sacred Heart of Jesus had many pastors and made many renovations to the church and school.
In 1967, Sacred Heart of Jesus became a mission of the parish in Shelby. But in 1968, the resident pastor of Shelby, Father Gans, moved from Shelby to Bethlehem, making the Shelby Parish a mission of Bethlehem.
Sources: History of the Diocese of Toledo, Northern Ohio-West Central and Central Section.
- Record Book, Baptisms and Confirmations, 1844-1877
- Record Book, Baptisms, 1877-1924
- Record Book, Marriages and Deaths, 1849-1923
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy