Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Nicholas Vass Diaries - MS 1013
The Nicholas Vass Diaries are a collection of 33 stenographic notepads on which diary entries were written between 1961 and 1971 by a patient in the long-term care facility of the Maumee Valley Hospital.
The collection was acquired by the Center of Archival Collections through a gift from Frances Adams of Bowling Green, Ohio in December 2004. She had been his caregiver during the period of his illness and is mentioned in many of the journal entries. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The collection was processed by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in January 2005.
Nicholas Vass was born in Toledo, Ohio on December 16, 1910 to Michael and Veronica Pederi Vass. Not much is known of his life until the period of the diaries, during which he was a patient in the long-term unit at the Maumee Valley Hospital suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, working as a notary public during part of that time. Nicholas died on September 9, 1971 (the last diary entry is August 8, 1971), and was survived by a brother, Joseph, and sisters Stella Vass, Mary Strick, and Betty (Mary Elizabeth) Marczak.
The span of the Nicholas Vass diaries provide a glimpse of the life of a patient in long-term care at Maumee Valley Hospital in Toledo, where he was a resident for many years, due to numerous surgeries to try to alleviate his severe arthritis.
The diaries, written in spiral-bound stenographer notebooks, cover an initial summary of his hospitalization at St. Vincent's Hospital and treatments starting April 8, 1961 until July 8, 1962 when he entered Maumee Valley Hospital, continuing until just a month before his death.
He gives accounts of various procedures and medical treatments, medical personnel (doctors, nurses, aides, candy-stripers), visitors, other patients, trips out of the hospital, and outside events. While many entries are written in his hand, with noticeable deterioration of handwriting around mid-Nov 1964, some parts are probably dictated. One unusual feature is the inclusion of some random words in Hungarian, providing a hint at Vass's background.
Personal journals, written on a series of steno pads, documenting the daily life of a long-term patient at the Maumee Valley Hospital. Includes personal entries, clippings, and other notes.
- Diary, April 8, 1961-November 30, 1962
- Diary, December 2, 1962-June 10, 1963
- Diary, June 12-October 20, 1963
- Diary, October 20, 1963-February 4, 1964
- Diary, February 3-May 26, 1964
- Diary, May 26-July 28, 1964
- Diary, July 28-December 12, 1964
- Diary, December 13, 1964-April 18, 1965
- Diary, April 19-July 20, 1965
- Diary, July 20-October 14, 1965
- Diary, October 14, 1965-January 23, 1966
- Diary, January 24-May 6, 1966
- Diary, May 6-July 1, 1966
- Diary, July 1-September 18, 1966
- Diary, September 19-November 30, 1966
- Diary, December 1, 1966-March 20, 1967
- Diary, March 20-August 4, 1967
- Diary, August 4-December 5, 1967
- Diary, December 6, 1967-March 13, 1968
- Diary, March 13-July 3, 1968
- Diary, July 3-October 19, 1968
- Diary, October 19, 1968-January 4, 1969
- Diary, January 5-April 6, 1969
- Diary, April 6-July 25, 1969
- Diary, July 26-November 18, 1969
- Diary, November 18, 1969-January 26, 1970
- Diary, January 26-April 30, 1970
- Diary, May 1-July 13, 1970
- Diary, July 14-September 14, 1970
- Diary, September 15-December 4, 1970
- Diary, December 4, 1970-February 11, 1971
- Diary, February 12-April 20, 1971
- Diary, April 21-Augustt 8, 1971
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy