Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Michael Catholic Church (Kelley's Island, Ohio) - MS 969 mf
The records of St. Michael Catholic Church, 1861 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in June 2002, with the cooperation of Father Jeff Nordhaus of St. Michael Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin.
The following gaps exist in this collection: baptisms 1935 - 1956, first communions and confirmations through 1957, marriages 1954 - 1956 and deaths 1934 - 1956. Father Jeff Nordhaus was unable to explain what had happened to them.
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel in June 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The parish of St. Michael Catholic Church began as a Station of Sandusky in July of 1861. In September of 1861, the care of the Station was placed under Port Clinton.
In 1863, the parish built their church. It was a small stone church that only measured 70 x 28 feet. In 1865, the parish received their first resident pastor, Father Charles Kuemin. Father Kuemin was also placed in charge of the parish of Put-In-Bay until 1867. The parishes of Put-In-Bay and Bass Islands were part of the assignments of the parish of St. Michael.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 219 - 222.
- Baptisms, 1861 - 1890
- Baptisms, 1890- 1934
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Record Book, 1867- 1953
- Record Book, 1957 - 2002
- First Communions
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy