Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 945 mf
The records of St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church, which include St. Ann Catholic Church, 1898 - 1993, St. Teresa Catholic Church, 1914 - 2001 and St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church, 1980 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in March 2002, with the cooperation of Reverend P. Martin Donnelly of St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, book of the elect, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin and French.
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel in March 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church was formed in 1990 by combining the parishes of St. Ann Catholic Church with St. Teresa Catholic Church.
St. Ann Catholic Church was established on July 3,1898 at the corner of Forest and Bancroft. Reverend John H. Muehlenbeck was appointed the first pastor. A three-story building was built on that lot with a church on the first floor, a school on the second and a hall on the third. A second school building was built in 1899. A second Church was built in 1924 at the same location because the size of the original was no longer sufficient to house the growing congregation.
St. Teresa Catholic Church was formed in 1913 to accommodate the overcrowding at St. Ann. Father James Higginbotham was appointed as the first pastor. The first services were held in a rented store in 1914. A two-story wood frame school building was built in 1914 and the cornerstone for the church was laid in 1915.
After the two parishes combined, services were held at St. Ann. Parish council members from both parishes chose the name St. Martin de Porres for the new parish.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central Section Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 125 - 127 and 171 - 173.
Roll 1St. Ann Catholic Church
- Record Book, 1898 - 1914
- First Communions
- Baptisms, 1912 - 1927
- First Communions, 1915 - 1990
Roll 2St. Ann Catholic Church
- Confirmations, 1915 - 1965
- Confirmations, 1968 - 1983
- Interments, 1912 - 1993
- Baptisms, 1914 - 1933
- First Communions, 1915 - 1943
- First Communions, 1944 - 1988
Roll 3St. Teresa Catholic Church
- Confirmations, 1915 - 1946
- Confirmations, 1946 - 1982
- Deaths, 1914 - 1953
- Deaths, 1954 - 1990
- Book of the Elect, 1980 - 2001
Roll 4 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)St. Ann Catholic Church
- Baptisms, 1927 - 1959
- Baptisms, 1959 - 1971
- Baptisms, 1971 - 1990
- Marriages, 1898 - 1944
Roll 5 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)St. Ann Catholic Church
- Marriages, 1944 - 1990
- Baptisms, 1933 - 1947
- Baptisms, 1947 - 1954
- Baptisms, 1954 - 1970
Roll 6 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)St. Teresa Catholic Church
- Baptisms, 1970 - 1990
- Marriages, 1914 - 1959
- Marriages, 1960 - 1987
- Record Book, 1990 - 2002
- First Communions
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy