Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Joseph Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 943 mf
The records of St. Joseph Catholic Church, 1863 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in March 2002, with the cooperation of Reverend Stephen R. Majoros of St. Joseph Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, profession of faith, marriages*, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin and French.
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel and Kathleen Gardner in March 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The parish of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Toledo was established as a French speaking church in the summer of 1854. Around this time the parish built their first church building, known as the "French Chapel". It was built behind the Ursuline Convent.
Father Charles Evrard, the founder of the parish, served as spiritual leader until 1863 when they received their first resident pastor. His name was Reverend James Rouchy.
In 1870, the Ursuline Sisters wanted to expanded their convent so the parish of St. Joseph began to look for a place to relocate their church. They began building their new church on the corner of Erie and Locust Streets in April of 1870. The church was finally completed in 1878.
During the 1870's there was a rapid increase of French and Canadian people moving to Toledo. Because of this, the Diocese established a second French speaking church on the East Side of Toledo. St. Joseph Catholic Church served this parish as a Mission for several years.
Over the years the membership of the parish declined. In the late 1890's, the formation of two new parishes, St. Ann and St. Michael, reduced the membership of St. Joseph. Over the years many of the French speaking members moved to more affluent neighborhoods of Toledo.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central Section Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 50 - 54.
- Record Book, 1863 - 1877
- Record Book, 1878 - 1924
- Baptisms, 1863 - 1867
- Index to Baptisms, 1872 - 1892
- Baptisms, 1872 - 1892
- Baptisms, 1893 - 1908
- First Communions, 1896 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1893 - 2000
- Marriages, 1893 - 1908
- Interments, 1894 - 2002
Roll 2(RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1908 - 1954
- Baptisms, 1955 - 2002
- Marriages, 1908 - 2002
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy