Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church (Willard, Ohio) - MS 938 mf
The records of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, 1882 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in February 2002, with the cooperation of Father Melvin T. Hoffman of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, deaths and cemetery records. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin.
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in February 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The town of Willard was originally known as Chicago Junction. Beginning in 1875, the Catholic settlers in this town were served as a Station of Monroeville. In 1877, this Station was transferred to the care of Shelby. In 1879, the parish in Chicago Junction built their first church and their status was changed from a Station to a Mission. The Mission built their second church in 1896 through 1897. The original church was moved and placed behind the new church. It served as a parish hall.
The parish of St. Francis Xavier received their first resident pastor, Father John Herr, in June of 1898. Once the parish received their resident priest they began serving the Missions of Plymouth and Republic.
In 1954, the parish bought six acres of land in order to expand the parish. The parish built their new church in 1962. The parish's new school, convent and hall were completed in 1963.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 278 - 280.
- Record Book, 1905 - 1931
- First Communions
- First Communions, 1931 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1932 - 2001
- Cemetery Records, 1882 - 1987
- Deaths, 1932 - 2002
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Record Book, 1894 - 1959
- Baptisms, 1950 - 1972
- Baptisms, 1973 - 1997
- Baptisms, 1997 - 2002
- Marriages, 1960 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy