Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Mary Catholic Church (Tiffin, Ohio) - MS 935 mf
The records of St. Mary Catholic Church, 1831 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in February 2002, with the cooperation of Father Frank A. Murd of St. Mary Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, cemetery records, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin.
There is a note in the front of the marriage record book dated 1854-1916 that states that January through September, 1852 records are located at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Tiffin. There is also a list of private baptisms from Mercy Hospital in Tiffin found in the baptismal record book dated 1957 - 1962. These records are from June, 1957 through October, 1962.
There is one book that was lost some time ago, according to the office staff of St. Mary Catholic Church. This may account for the following gaps in the records: first communions (1907 - 1917), confirmations (1907 - 1916), and interments (1854 - 1859).
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in February 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
On a trip through Tiffin in 1829, Catholic Bishop Fenwick from Cincinnati saw the need for a Catholic Church in Tiffin. In September of 1829, the bishop purchased land to be used as a site for a church. The church building itself was not completed until 1836, but the parish did have a resident priest serving mass beginning in 1831. His name was Father Edmund Quin. Father Quin said mass in private homes until the building was completed.
When Father Quin was assigned to St. Mary parish he began to attend Stations throughout Northwest Ohio. Tiffin became a Station, and later, a Mission center for the area. St. Mary's parish served Maumee, Auglaize, Fremont, McCutchenville, Sandusky, New Washington, Shelby Settlement, New Riegel, Thompson, Melmore and many other parishes.
The Catholic population of Tiffin grew rapidly during the 1830's and 1840's. An addition was built on to the back of St. Mary's church building. In 1845, a second Catholic parish was formed. This was St. Joseph and it was formed to serve the German Catholic population. In 1856, St. Mary parish built its second church. In 1906, the parish's third church was completed on a new site. The church was relocated to South Sandusky Street. This is where the church is currently located.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 158 - 166.
- Index, 1831 - 1853
- Index, 1854 - 1922
- Record Book, 1831 - 1854
- Baptisms, 1854 - 1908
- Baptisms, 1906 - 1922
- Record Book, 1883 - 1906
- First Communions
- First Communions, 1918 - 1955
- First Communions, 1956 - 1998
- First Communions, 1998 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1917 - 1955
- Confirmations, 1957 - 2001
- Marriages, 1854 - 1916
- Cemetery Records, 1860 - 1986
- Interments, 1863 - 1922
- Interments, 1923 - 1964
- Deaths, 1964 - 1997
- Deaths, 1997 - 2002
Roll 4 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1922 - 1952
- Baptisms, 1952 - 1957
- Baptisms, 1957 - 1962
Roll 5 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1962 - 1968
- Baptisms, 1968 - 1982
- Baptisms, 1982 - 2001
- Baptisms, 2001 - 2002
Roll 6 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Marriages, 1906 - 1940
- Marriages, 1940 - 1968
- Marriages, 1968 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy