Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Mary Catholic Church (Clyde, Ohio) - MS 924 mf
The records of St. Mary Catholic Church, 1862 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in December 2001, with the cooperation of Father Dennis Schroeder of St. Mary Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, Catechumens, Book of the Elect, marriages* and interments. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) According to St. Mary Catholic Church there are records missing for baptisms (1896 - 1907), first communions (1895 - 1914), confirmations (1894 - 1911), marriages (1896 - 1915) and interments/deaths (1896 - 1913). There are records for the Mission of Green Springs included in the Record Book (1862 - 1895). The records include baptisms (1884 - 1894), first communions (1885 - 1890) and marriages (1889).
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in December 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
In 1853, Father Thomas Walsh, the resident priest from St. Ann Catholic Church in Fremont, began serving the Catholics in Clyde. Clyde remained a Station of Fremont until 1861. In 1858, the parish in Clyde began building a church. The building was completed in 1860.
In 1861, Clyde was made a Mission of Bellevue until St. Mary Catholic Church received a resident priest in 1872. St. Mary's first resident priest was Father Joseph Bowles. When Clyde received their resident pastor they began serving the Mission of Green Springs until the mid -1890's.
In 1883, it became evident that a new church was needed. The parish began erecting the church in 1886 and it was not completed until 1890. Throughout the years since this second church was built many improvements have been made. The interior of the church was frescoed and new Stations of the Cross replaced the original ones. The largest improvement to the parish came in 1956 when a new school and hall was built. In 1968, an auditorium, meeting rooms and a cafeteria were added.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 87 - 89.
- Record Book, 1862 - 1869
- Record Book (Includes the Mission of Green Springs), 1862 - 1895
- First Communions
- Record Book, 1915 - 1943
- First Communions
- First Communions, 1941 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1912
- Confirmations, 1941 - 2001
- Register of Catechumens, 1996 - 2001
- Book of the Elect, 1993 - 2001
- Interments, 1914 - 2001
- Cemetery Records, 1950 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1908 - 1952
- Baptisms, 1952 - 1964
- Baptisms, 1964 - 1984
- Baptisms, 1985 - 1995
Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1995 - 2001
- Marriages, 1916 - 1971
- Marriages, 1971 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy