Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Holy Angels Catholic Church (Sandusky, Ohio) - MS 885 mf
The records of Holy Angels Catholic Church, 1841 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in August 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend John Missler of Holy Angels Catholic Church, Sandusky, Ohio.
The collection consists of baptisms * , first communions, confirmations, marriages * , deaths and interments. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) There are gaps in the early records of baptisms, marriages and deaths. The records between 1853 and 1855 were lost. The records between 1856 and 1875 are at the parish of Sts. Peter and Paul, Sandusky, Ohio.
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in August 2001.
* There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
In 1834, Sandusky (then called Portland) was a Station of Peru. They cared for the Catholics irregularly until 1839. In 1839, the Station of Sandusky was attended by Tiffin. Sandusky received their first resident pastor in 1841. In February 1842, the church received land and materials and began to build their first church. The new parish was called Holy Angels Catholic Church. The Church was completed in 1845. By 1853, the German population of Holy Angels had grown large and the Diocese gave permission for them to form St. Mary Catholic Church. In 1866, another parish, Sts. Peter and Paul, was formed and the pastor of Holy Angels moved to this new parish. From 1871 - 1875 Holy Angels was a Mission of Sts. Peter and Paul. In 1875, Holy Angels received another resident pastor. Sts. Peter and Paul parish was established because the catholic population of Sandusky had grown rapidly and the two older parishes could not meet the needs of the population. Despite the three catholic parishes in Sandusky, Holy Angels has managed to grow and keep a steady number of members.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 226 - 233.
- Record Book, 1841 - 1852
- Baptisms, 1875 - 1925
- First Communions, 1876 - 1913
- Record Book, 1877 - 2001
- First Communion
- Historical Sketch
- Interments, 1876 - 1993
- Deaths, 1994 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1925 - 1957
- Baptisms, 1957 - 1967
- Baptisms, 1967 - 1986
- Baptisms, 1986 - 2001
- Marriages, 1875 - 1964
- Marriages, 1964 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy