Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Michael Catholic Church (Gibsonburg, Ohio) - MS 870 mf
The records of St. Michael Catholic Church, 1892 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in June 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend Theodore J. Miller of St. Michael Catholic Church, Gibsonburg, Ohio.
The collection consists of baptisms * , first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in July 2001.
* There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The Catholic people in and around the area of Gibsonburg, Ohio began attending St. Mary Catholic Church in Millersville, Ohio in 1877. Gibsonburg was a Station of Millersville until 1892, when the Catholics in Gibsonburg were given permission by the Diocese to have a church. That same year, the parish purchased a Lutheran meeting house and moved it to a lot on Stephenson Street. They dedicated their church to St. Michael. St. Michael did not have a resident pastor, so St. Michael became a Mission of Millersville.
In May 1896, St. Michael received their first resident pastor, Father Philip Schritz. Once St. Michael received their resident pastor, they were assigned many Missions and Stations to serve. Among these were Elmore, Genoa, Woodville, Luckey, Bradner, Hessville, Latchie, Martin and Millbury.
As the congregation numbers increased plans were made for a new church. The church was completed in 1905. The old church building became the parish school. Throughout the years the congregation has grown steadily and many renovations have been done to the church, school, rectory, and parish hall.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. West Central and Central Section. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 104 - 106.
- Record Book, 1895 - 1951
- First Communions
- First Communions,1943 - 1988
- First Communions, 1989 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1943 - 2001
- Deaths, 1895 - 1988
- Deaths, 1989 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1892 - 1946
- Baptisms, 1946 - 1965
- Baptisms, 1965 - 1988
- Baptisms, 1989 - 2001
- Marriages, 1893 - 1983
- Marriages, 1983 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy