Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Anthony Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 868 mf
The records of St. Anthony Catholic Church, 1882 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in June 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend Gerald E. Knueven of St. Anthony Catholic Church, Toledo, Ohio.
The collection consists of baptisms * , first communions, confirmations, marriages * , interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in June 2001.
* There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
In 1882, St. Anthony Catholic Church was created. It was created to serve the Polish people in the area of Nebraska and Junction Avenues. Originally, St. Hedwig Catholic Church served all the Polish Catholics in Toledo, but those living in these particular neighborhoods did not want to travel far for church so St. Anthony parish was established.
The parish's first church was built in 1882. It did not take long for the parish to outgrow the building. In 1908, a second church was built to replace the original one. To help service the growing population of Polish Catholics the territory served by St. Anthony was divided.
The first division came in 1908 with the creation of St. Stanislaus Catholic Church. The second division came in 1922 with the establishment of the Nativity Catholic Church.
The membership of all three congregations grew steadily until the early 1950's. Beginning in the 1950's many Polish people began moving to different neighborhoods in Toledo. The membership at the Polish national parishes began to drop. To accommodate smaller parish sizes changes were made. In 1972, Nativity became a Mission of St. Anthony and in 1982 the parish of Nativity was closed permanently. In 1977, St. Stanislaus became a Mission of St. Anthony and has remained a sister parish to the present day.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. West Central Section. Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 39 - 43.
- Baptisms, 1883 - 1893
- Baptisms, 1893 - 1893
- Baptisms, 1894 - 1897
- Baptisms, 1897 - 1900
- Baptisms, 1901 - 1904
- Baptisms, 1904 - 1906
- Baptisms, 1906 - 1916
- Baptisms, 1916 - 1924
- Record Book, 1901 - 1937
- First Communions
- First Communions, 1905, n.d.
- First Communions, 1938 - 1989
- Confirmations, 1912
- Confirmations, 1940 - 1971
- Marriages, 1882 - 1908
- Deaths, 1882 - 1899
- Deaths, 1962 - 2001
- Interments, 1900 - 1922
- Interments, 1912 - 1961
Roll 5 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1924 - 1940
- Baptisms, 1940 - 1953
- Baptisms, 1953 - 2001
- Marriages, 1908 - 1936
Roll 6 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Marriages, 1936 - 1999
- Notification of Marriages, 1968 - 1984
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy