Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church (Shelby, Ohio) - MS 834 mf
The records of Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church, 1868 - 2001, including the records of the stations and missions: St. Francis Xavier - Chicago Junction; St. Joseph - Plymouth; St. Peter and St. Paul - Attica; and St. Aloysius - Republic; were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in February 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend John Missler of Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church and Frank Beier of the Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio.
The Genealogical Society of Utah edition consists of baptisms* 1868 - 1921, first communions 1877 - 2000, confirmations 1873 - 1999 and deaths/interments 1871 - 2000. An edition including baptisms 1922 - 2001 and marriages* 1877 - 2000 has been placed at the Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio and the Center for Archival Collections. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some records are in Latin.
Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series.
This register and this collection were prepared by Jennifer Golis in March 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church began as a Station of Shelby Settlement in 1862. It remained a Station of Shelby Settlement until 1865, when the parish became a Station of Mansfield. The first church was built in 1866. Between 1866 and 1876, the Shelby Mission was served by Shelby Settlement, Bucyrus, Galion, Crestline, and Loudenville. In 1876, their first resident pastor, Father M. Murphy, was appointed to the Shelby parish. After 1876, Shelby began to serve Missions and Stations throughout northern Ohio. These included St. Joseph in Plymouth, 1876 - 1898; St. Francis Xavier in Chicago Junction, 1877 - 1899; St. Aloysius in Republic, 1879 - 1894; and St. Peter and St. Paul in Attica 1882 - 1894. In 1967, the Mission of Bethlehem was assigned to Shelby but within a year Shelby became a mission of Bethlehem. They remain sister parishes, sharing the same pastor, through the present.
In 1892 and in 1928 new churches were built to help serve the growing population. The church built in 1928 is still in use today.
Sources: History of the Diocese of Toledo, Northern Ohio-West Central and Central Section.
The Building of a Parish. The History of Shelby's Catholic Community. Compiled by Heinz B. Frankl. 1976.
- Record Book (St. Aloysius - Republic; Most Pure Heart of Mary - Shelby), including baptism, first communion, confirmation, death/interment, 1868 - 1896
- Record Book (St. Francis Xavier - Chicago Junction; St. Joseph - Plymouth; St. Peter and St. Paul - Attica; St. Aloysius - Republic; Most Pure Heart of Mary - Shelby), including first communion, death, 1881 - 1899
- Record Book, including first communion, confirmation, 1903 - 1929
- Baptism, 1877 - 1921
- First Communion, 1924 - 1965
- First Communion, 1966 - 2000
- Confirmation, 1923 - 1961
- Confirmation, 1966 - 1999
- Interment, 1899 - 1966
- Death, 1966 - 2000
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptism, 1922 - 1949
- Baptism, 1949 - 1966
- Baptism, 1966 - 1984
- Baptism, 1984 - 2001
- Marriage, 1877 - 1966
- Marriage, 1966 - 2000
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy