Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Peter Catholic Church (Mansfield, Ohio) - MS 824 mf
The records of St. Peter Catholic Church 1869 - 2001 were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in January 2001, with the cooperation of Father Herbert F. Weber of St. Peter Catholic Church and Frank Beier of the Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio.
Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series.
This register and this collection were prepared by John McWatters in January 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
Though Catholics had settled in the Mansfield, Ohio area by 1834, they were not regularly attended until 1848. From that year through 1852 or 1853, they were serviced by the resident pastors at Shelby Settlement, today known as Sacred Heart Parish in Bethlehem Settlement, Ohio and from then until 1861 Mansfield was a station of Immaculate Conception Church in Wooster, Ohio. Mansfield received is first resident pastor in 1861.
In 1850, an old Presbyterian building located near First and Mulberry was purchased, and the first mass celebrated. A second church was built in 1871, but a fire destroyed it in 1889. The parish constructed a third church, including a new school, in 1890, with a fourth church completed in 1917.
The first parish school opened in 1868, a public school building at West First and South Mulberry was converted into a second parish school in 1870, and despite the fire that destroyed church and school in 1889, the school grew rapidly in the years that followed.
Partly due to the overcrowding that eventually beset the school, and partly to the ever-growing Catholic population of Mansfield generally, Bishop Karl J. Alter divided St. Peter Parish in 1949, with the northeast section of Mansfield becoming St. Mary of the Snows Parish.
Sources: History of the Diocese of Toledo, Northern Ohio - West Central Section, Toledo and Lucas County. St. Peter's Parish 1844 - 1994
- Baptisms, 1869 - 1908
- Baptisms, 1908 - 1923
- First Communions, 1892 - 1933
- First Communions, 1934 - 1947
- First Communions, 1948 - 1974
- First Communions, 1975 - 2000
- Confirmations, 1872 - 1925
- Confirmations, 1928 - 1962
- Confirmations, 1963 - 1981
- Confirmations, 1981 - 1992
- Confirmations, 1993 - 2000
- Deaths, 1869 - 1941
- Deaths, 1941 - 1967
- Deaths, 1967 - 1989
- Deaths, 1989 - 2001
- Anointing of the Sick, 1967 - 1987
- Book of the Elect, 1983 - 1987
Roll 4 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1923 - 1938
- Baptisms, 1938 - 1944
- Baptisms, 1944 - 1948
- Baptisms, 1948 - 1953
- Baptisms, 1953 - 1957
Roll 5 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1957 - 1960
- Baptisms, 1960 - 1964
- Baptisms, 1964 - 1968
- Baptisms, 1968 - 1974
- Baptisms, 1974 - 1988
Roll 6 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1988 - 1997
- Baptisms, 1997 - 2000
- Marriages, 1870 - 1933
- Marriages, 1933 - 1951
- Marriages, 1951 - 1966
- Marriages, 1967 - 1980
- Marriages, 1980 - 1996
- Marriages, 1996 - 2000
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy