Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Joseph Catholic Church (Sylvania, Ohio) - MS 821 mf
The records of St. Joseph Catholic Church, 1872 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections in January 2001, with the cooperation of Father Richard T. Wurzel of St. Joseph Catholic Church and Frank Beier of the Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio.
The collection consists of a church history, baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, deaths, confessions, sick visits, catechism classes, a family census, a list of pastors, and financial records. Some records are in Latin.
A gap exists in baptisms, first communions, confirmations, marriages, and deaths ranging from approximately 1905 - 1915. During this period Sylvania was a mission of St. Ann Catholic Church, Toledo, now known as St. Martin de Porres.
Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series.
This register and this collection were prepared by John McWatters in January 2001.
There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
St. Joseph Catholic Church, Sylvania, Ohio began as a station of St Francis de Sales Church, Toledo, Ohio, in 1855. The station's primary goal was to serve Irish Catholics who had settled in the region once the railroads had been completed. By 1870 Sylvania was a mission, and its first church building was constructed in either 1871 or 1872. Various Toledo churches served the mission until 1917, when father Bernard Crane was appointed its first resident pastor. In 1930 a second church building was constructed, and despite severe indebtedness during the years that followed the parish survived and eventually began to flourish. The third and present building was completed and dedicated in 1967.
The first parish school opened in 1919, but closed in 1938 due to the financial problems and difficulties involving student transportation. From 1940 -1958 the Franciscan Sisters of Sylvania operated the school on a tuition basis. A new school building was completed in 1958, and beginning with fall classes of that year the institution once again operated as a parish school.
Source: History of the Diocese of Toledo, Northern Ohio - West Central Section, Toledo and Lucas County
- Record Book, including history, baptisms, list of pastors, confirmations, confessions, first communions, sick visits, deaths, marriages, catechism classes, financial records, family census, and diocesan report, 1872 - 1906 (Scattered)
- Record Book, including first communions and confirmations, 1939 - 1973 (Scattered)
- First Communions, 1971 - 1988
- First Communions, 1988 - 1999
- First Communions, 1999 - 2000
- Confirmations, 1975 - 1991
- Confirmations, 1991 - 2000
- Deaths, 1968 - 1997
- Deaths, 1997 - 2000
Roll 2 (RESTRICTED ACCESS)
- Record Book, including baptisms, marriages, deaths, first communions, and confirmations, 1910 - 1967 (Scattered)
- Baptisms, 1930 - 1954
- Baptisms, 1955 - 1964
- Baptisms, 1964 - 1972
- Baptisms, 1972 - 1981
- Baptisms, 1981 - 1987
Roll 3 (RESTRICTED ACCESS)
- Baptisms, 1987 - 1993
- Baptisms, 1993 - 2000
- Baptisms, 2000 - 2001
- Marriages, 1940 - 1981
- Marriages, 1981 - 1999
- Marriages, 1999 - 2000
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy