Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Ruth Kerns Matthews Papers - MS 806
The Ruth Kerns Matthews Papers consist of 1 linear feet of genealogical material centered on the related Kerns, Matthews, Altman, Knight, and allied families.
The material was donated to the Center for Archival Collections through the cooperation of Mary Ewing on behalf of the Fort Findlay Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, McComb,Ohio on July 25, 2000. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was completed by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in September 2000.
The central families that make up the core of the Ruth Kerns Matthews collection include the Altman, Kerns, Knight, Matthews, McKee, Mitchell, Place, Spitler and allied families. Collected by Ruth Kerns Matthews the material covers numerous families with ancestors involved in the Revolutionary War.
Ruth Manson Kerns was born Jan. 13, 1891, the daughter of Hancock County Probate Court Judge Arthur E. Kerns and his wife Sarah Cornwell Manson. Ruth was married on June 24, 1919 to Paul D. Voorheis, and later to Herbert Matthews of Findlay, Ohio.
The Ruth Kerns Matthews collection of genealogical material was assembled as part of activities associated with membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution. Generally the materials fall into two categories, the correspondence generated in the course of doing the genealogical research and the finished or compiled information. In both cases, the materials are further divided by family groups.
CORRESPONDENCE - GENEALOGICAL INQUIRIES
Arranged alphabetically by family group
Inquiry letters to government agencies seeking genealogical information and correspondence with relatives exchanging background data
Compilations of research notes, family group sheets, genealogical charts, photographs, and historical notes on Altman, Kern, Knight, McKee, Mitchell, Place, Trotter, and allied families
- Altman research correspondence, 1956-1962
- Barr-Bricker research correspondence, 1960-1965
- Bible family records, Altman, Stewart, Kelly, Fenstermaker, etc., n.d.
- Hewitt-Cornell-Gregg research correspondence, 1964
- Hindman-McKee-Kern-Trotter research correspondence, 1940-1957
- Mrs. Harry Hosafros of Carey, Ohio research correspondence, 1960-1961
- Latchaw-Ross-Blackford-Kauffman research correspondence, 1957-1960
- McKee research correspondence, 1960-1966
- Mitchell-Trotter research correspondence, 1961-1965
- Place Family data, 1960-1963
- Laverne Spitler's genealogical papers research correspondence, 1959-1962
- Altman-Messimore Families, 1964
- Part of the Altman Genealogy, by Joseph M. Kellogg, n.d.
- Ancestors of Ethel Barber, n.d.
- Bright and Allied Families, 1961
- Houdeshell and Kirvan, n.d.
- Kern Family, 1966
- Knight Family, by Maud Marvin Place, n.d.
- Knight-Place Families, n.d.
- McKee, n.d.
- Mitchell Family, 1963
- Mitchell-Trotter-Ruthven Record, n.d.
- Laverne Beck Spitler, Jessie Marie Pratt Hosafros, 1960-1963
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy