Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Daughters of the American Revolution. Martha Pitkin Chapter (Sandusky, Ohio) - MS 719 mf
The Martha Pitkin Chapter, D.A.R. collection consists of materials relating to the organization and activities of a patriotic women's group in Sandusky, Ohio, whose members had ancestors who fought in the American Revolutionary War. The materials are divided by record group and chronologically within the record groups when possible. The materials date inclusively from 1867 to 2000 and include minutes, programs/yearbooks, and scrapbooks.
The Pitkin Chapter Papers were initially donated to the Center for Archival Collections through the cooperation of the Sandusky Library, 114 West Adams Street, Sandusky, OH, on January 2, 1996, with additional material added in October 1997. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The collection was processed and register prepared in October 1997 at Bowling Green State University by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, and revised in May 2004 and March 2005.
The Martha Pitkin Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution was established on April 29, 1897 by a group of Sandusky, Ohio women who had ancestors who fought in the American Revolution, in affiliation with the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The chapter was named for an ancestor of the chapter founder, Mrs. Jay Osborne Moss, who was a lineal descendent of Martha Pitkin through her revolutionary ancestor, Matthew Griswold, Governor of the Connecticut Colony.
The activities of the Chapter covered a mix of patriotic education, public service projects, genealogical research, and social activities. Examples of their endeavors in these areas include support of placing books in local libraries, marking of veterans' graves and historic sites, war relief work in both World War I and II (including contributions to the Red Cross and support of French war orphans), Americanization instruction for immigrants, placement of lineage books in the library, and various pageants and presentations at meetings.
The Martha Pitkin Chapter, D.A.R. Papers span the years 1867 to 2000. The largest portion of the collection is the secretary's books which contain the minutes of the activities of the organization as well as membership lists and committees. The proceedings of the Chapter also are represented by a few minute books of the Executive Board, which includes consideration of program activities as well as approval of new members.
The minutes, scrapbooks, and reports from the periods of both World Wars and afterwards give a view of humanitarian projects and support for veterans.
The extensive series of yearbooks illustrate the actual programs presented by the Chapter in their meetings, with various topical groupings such as educational, spiritual, and patriotic used to categorize the events. These yearbooks also provide the names of the hostess for each meeting and an annual roster of the active members.
MINUTES - MEETING MINUTES
Bound volumes of Secretary's books, including meeting minutes, membership lists, and committee information
MINUTES - BOARD MINUTES
Bound volumes of Board Minutes, including consideration of programs and new members
Annual summary of chapter activities and committee work
HISTORICAL SKETCHES OF CHARTER MEMBERS
Alphabetic sketches of the Revolutionary ancestry of charter members, done for the Historian's Record Book
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS
Program booklets with dates, topics and hostess for meeting; also includes list of chapter members with addresses
STATE CONFERENCE PROGRAMS
Conference program, including memorial roster by region
Scrapbooks of clippings, programs, and other memorabilia, collected by the Chapter, or by individual members
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Jan 1897-Sept 1902
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Jan 1903-Jan 1904
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Jan 1905-June 1912
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Sept 1912-Apr 1915
- Secretary's book (Minutes), May 1915-May 1920
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Sept 1920-May 1925
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Sept 1925-March 1932
- Secretary's book (Minutes), May 1932-June 1941
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Sept 1941-June 1953
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Sept 1956-Nov 1961
- Secretary's book (Minutes), Jan 1962-June 1976
- Minutes of the Board,Sept 1912-July 1921
- Minutes of the Board,Sept 1921-Nov 1942
- Historian's book, 1897-1907
- Historian's book, 1908-1942
- Historian's book, 1943-1959
- Historian's book, 1966-1970; 1997
- Historical Sketches of Charter Members, n.d.
- Programs/yearbooks, 1902-1912
- Programs/yearbooks, 1912-1919
- Programs/yearbooks, 1920-1931
- Programs/yearbooks, 1931-1945
- Programs/yearbooks, 1946-1960
- Programs/yearbooks, 1961-1978
- Programs/yearbooks, 1979-2000
- Scrapbook, 1904-1931
- Scrapbook (Annette Fitch Brewar), 1902-1904
- Scrapbook (DAR War Work in WW I), 1917-1919
- Scrapbook, 1931-1955
- Scrapbook, 1946-1956
- Scrapbook, 1957-1959
- Scrapbook, 1959-1966
- Scrapbook, 1966-1970
- Scrapbook, 1970-1971
- Scrapbook, 1971-1972
- Scrapbook, 1973-1974
- Scrapbook, 1974-1975
- Scrapbook, 1975-1976
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy