Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Custar Church of Christ (Custar, Ohio) - MS 715
The records of the Custar Church of Christ were donated and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in October 1995 through the cooperation of Patricia Smith at the Wood County Historical Museum, where the material was originally deposited. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in June 2004.
In October of 1904 the Custar, Ohio Union Sunday School decided that they wanted to establish a Church and on November 14, 1904 a Church of Christ was organized, initially with 20 members. A building committee was established and on March 18, 1906 a new building was dedicated.
Initially affiliated with the Disciples of Christ, by the time of the restructuring of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in 1968 the Custar congregation voted to maintain an independent membership unassociated with that body.
Due to a decline in membership in 1976 the congregation sold the parsonage house, which had been unused since the late 1960's. The Church itself disbanded in 1977, with some in the congregation transferring to the Weston church.
The records of the Custar Church of Christ cover the period from the founding of the church in 1904 until its closure in 1977. The record books cover minutes (with some gaps in the 1920s), offering records, membership lists, and finances. A separate series covers the records of the Sunday School during the period from 1942 through 1946. The collection also includes some individual financial ledgers, loose records, and folders of correspondence.
RECORD BOOKS - GENERAL
Church record books, including minutes, offering record, building fund records, finances, and membership
RECORD BOOKS - SUNDAY SCHOOL
Record books for the Sunday School, primarily attendance and offering records
CORRESPONDENCE - TRANSFER REQUESTS
Formal requests for transfer of membership from the Custar congregation to various other churches
CORRESPONDENCE - RESIGNATIONS/SALE OF PARSONAGE
General correspondence, including resignation of minister N.C. Carpenter and notification of agreement to sell the parsonage house
CORRESPONDENCE - AFFILIATION
Correspondence related to Custar Church independence and disassociation after restructuring of Church of Christ (Disciples of Christ)
Contract jointly involving the Custar Church and McComb Church to employ Herbert Johnson as minister
DEDICATION LEDGER (BUILDING FUND)
Account record of donations toward the dedication of a new building for the Church
General financial record book listing Church income and expenses
FINANCIAL STATEMENT SHEETS
Loose sheets with summaries of Church income and expenses
RECORD OF OFFERINGS
Ledger record of offerings made by Church members, includes some minutes
Financial statements, order records and correspondence with the Detroit Stained Glass Works for purchase and installation of ornamental windows in the Church
- Record Book (includes minutes, offering record, building fund records, finances) 1904-1907
- Record Book (includes minutes, offering record, finances), 1907-1909
- Record Book (includes minutes, finances), 1907-1915
- Record Book (includes minutes, officers), 1939-1952
- Record Book (includes minutes, membership), 1952-1960
- Record Book (includes minutes, membership), 1961-1970
- Sunday School Record Book (includes attendance and offerings), 1942
- Sunday School Record Book, 1943
- Sunday School Record Book, 1944
- Sunday School Record Book, 1946
- Correspondence-transfer requests, 1946-1976
- Correspondence-including resignations, sale of parsonage, 1959-1976
- Correspondence - Church affiliation, 1968
- Contract between the Custar Church and Herbert Johnson (employed as minister), n.d.
- Dedication Ledger (Building fund), 1905
- Financial Ledger, 1941-1951
- Financial statements, 1961-1975
- Record of Individual Offerings, Membership, 1907-1938
- Record of Individual Offerings, Membership, 1929-1935
- Bills and correspondence, Detroit Stained Glass Works, 1905-1910
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy