Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Clare Martin Papers (Bowling Green, Ohio) - MS 674
The Clare Martin papers are a collection comprised up of class scrapbooks, published and unpublished writings, family papers, personal papers, and research and lecture notes. The papers were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in 1993.
No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of research and preservation. The collection was processed by Cynthia Clark, archives intern, in March 2003.
Clare Martin, was born Clarence Stephan Martin, on November 30, 1888 in Loogootee, Indiana. He graduated from high school in 1907, and that same year entered The Ohio State University, where he received a degree in the Natural Sciences in 1911. Upon graduation he enrolled in graduate studies at OSU. For a number of years he earned his living as a Science teacher in parts of Virginia and Ohio. During the summer breaks he continued to work on his graduate degree. After being offered an assistantship in the Chemistry Department at OSU, to study Industrial Chemistry, he received his Masters in 1920, and in 1923, he completed the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Upon receiving his doctorate he began teaching at Bowling Green State Normal College (now Bowling Green State University) in 1923, where he continued to teach until his retirement in 1959.
Clare Martin was married to Hazel E. Breese on June 14, 1913, until her death in November 14, 1938. From this marriage there was one child, a daughter named Dorothy Martin, who also preceded her father in death in 1973. Clare Martin lived to the age of 93 and passed away on November 1, 1982.
The Clare Martin papers are comprised of class scrapbooks, personal papers, family papers, research and lecture material, and published and unpublished writings. The collection of scrapbooks, made up of class work for each school year at Bowling Green State University, ranges from 1923 until 1953. This collection is not complete and is missing the scrapbooks from 1946-1947 and 1947-1948. Within the scrapbooks one may find class assignments, quizzes and tests for the variety of classes he taught.
The published and unpublished writings of Clare Martin are from his thesis, dissertation and articles that were published in scientific journals. The research and lecture notes are comprised of notes that were taken while he attended The Ohio State University, and also of lecture notes used by him while teaching both at OSU and Bowling Green State University. The personal papers are made up of duplicates of letters written by Clare Martin from 1931 until 1964, a financial ledger, his diaries from 1971 through 1975, and a photo and personal writings regarding his church. The writings from his family are from his wife Hazel Breese and daughter Dorothy Martin. They include personal notes and school records.
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS
Includes assignment, quizzes, tests, and finals from classes that Clare Martin taught at Bowling Green State University. Missing years 1946-1947 and 1947-1948.
1920, 1923, n.d.
Comprised of Clare Martin's thesis and dissertation, from his graduate studies at The Ohio State University, and a paper on Molecular Weight.
Includes articles written by Dr. Clare Martin and fellow colleagues accepted by scientific journals.
RESEARCH AND LECTURE NOTES
Includes notes that were taken by Clare Martin while attending OSU from 1919 until 1923, material that he lectured on when teaching at both at OSU, 1912-1922 and BGSU from 1930-1935, and also notes taken from his observations and experiments.
Includes his personal diaries from 1971-1975, a financial ledger, duplicates of letters he wrote from 1931-1964, church material, and a photo of himself.
Includes school notes from both Clare Martin's wife and daughter. Also personal drawings by his daughter, and a class roll book from when his wife was teaching
- Class Workbook, 1923-1924
- Class Workbook, 1924-1925
- Class Workbook, 1925-1926
- Class Workbook, 1926-1927
- Class Workbook, 1927-1928
- Class Workbook, 1928-1929
- Class Workbook, 1929-1930
- Class Workbook, 1930-1931
- Class Workbook, 1931-1932
- Class Workbook, 1932-1933
- Class Workbook, 1933-1934
- Class Workbook, 1934-1935
- Class Workbook, 1935-1936
- Class Workbook, 1936-1937
- Class Workbook, 1937-1938
- Class Workbook, 1938-1939
- Class Workbook, 1939-1940
- Class Workbook, 1940-1941
- Class Workbook, 1941-1942
- Class Workbook, 1942-1943
- Class Workbook, 1943-1944
- Class Workbook, 1944-1945
- Class Workbook, 1945-1946
- Class Workbook, 1948-1949
- Scrapbook - Class Workbook, 1949-1951
- Scrapbook - Class Workbook, 1951-1953
- Thesis Paper: Coal Tar Pitch Utilization in Paint, 1920
- C. Martin's Dissertation: the Electrolytic Preparation of Highly Concentrated Alkali 5 Amalgams, 1923
- Paper: Victor Meyer Method of Determining Molecular Weight; Freezing Point Method of Determining Molecular Weight; Degree of Ionization; Viscosity and Density of Liquids; The Index of Refraction
- Article, Acceptance Letter, and Notes on Potassium Amalgam, 1923
- Paper on Vapor Density of Steam and journal acceptance note, 1928
- OSU - Lecture Notes: Organic Chemistry 203, Sept. 1923 - Jan. 1922
- OSU - Lecture Notes: Organic Chemistry 204, Feb. 1922 - May 1922
- OSU - Lecture Notes: Chemistry 152
- OSU - Experiment Notebook and Answers, 1919
- OSU - C. Martin's Chemistry 215 Notes, OSU, n.d.
- OSU - Laboratory Notebook on Elementary Chemistry, OSU. n/d
- OSU - Outline of Chemistry 151/152 - Dept. of Chemistry, OSU
- OSU - Chemistry Exercise and Answers Notebook, 1919
- BGSU - Teachers Handbook c.1930-1940, Chemistry 78
- BGSU - Teachers Handbook c.1936-1940, Chemistry 73 (also known as Chem. 101)
- BGSU - Chemistry Workbook (lecture notes?) 1933-1934
- Notes and Writings on History and Historical Chemistry, 1921
- Journal on Experiment about Potassium Amalgamate, 1922-1923
- Notes, Observations & Drawings on Tress and plants, n.d.
- Notes, Observations and Drawings on Amphibians, n.d.
- Notes, Observations & Drawings of Insects, n.d.
- Clare Martin's Roll Book, 1915-1916
- Clare Martin's Roll Book, 1917-1918
- Clare Martin's Roll Book, n.d.
- Clare Martin's Roll Book, n.d.
- Personal Ledger, 1920-1924
- Clare Martin's Diaries, April 1971-Feb.1972
- Clare Martin's Diaries, July 1972-Dec. 1973
- Clare Martin's Diaries, 1974-May 1975
- Duplicate Letters by Clare Martin, 1931-1964
- Letter and Writings from Church, by Clare Martin, 1948
- Photo of Clare Martin, n.d.
- H. Breese's Botany Notebook, includes drawings
- H. Breese's Class Record, n.d.
- D. Martin's Lab Manual - For A Course in Foods: Their Selection and Preparation
- D. Martin's Book of Drawings, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy