Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Frank C. Ogg Papers - MS 635
Virginia Ogg Magada and Florence Ogg Smith, daughters of Bowling Green State University (BGSU) Professor Dr. Frank C. Ogg donated this collection of family documents and their father's writings and classroom instructional materials to the Center for Archival Collections on April 5, 1992.
This collection is comprised of mostly family correspondence, photographs, negatives, and Dr. Ogg's writings, speeches, class lectures and instructional notes. Some family documentation is also included for the Chappell and Sutton families (Dr. Ogg's wife's family). The three cubic feet of records date from 1859-1972 with most of the documents dating from the 1920's and early 1930's. No restrictions have been placed on the use of this collection. Literary, copyright and property rights of this collection have been dedicated to the public. Duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and scholarly research.
Frank Chappell Ogg was born February 3, 1899 in Richmond, Virginia to Marcie Edna Chappell Ogg and Oscar Jesse Ogg. In his youth, Dr. Ogg lived in Pueblo, Colorado; Helper, Utah; Dodge City, Kansas; and Raton, New Mexico. He was Division Superintendent for the Atchison-Topeka-Sante Fe Railroad. In 1918 Dr. Ogg graduated Valedictorian from Colfax County High School in Raton, New Mexico. In the fall of that same year, at the end of WWI, he served in the United States Army.
Dr. Ogg earned his Bachelors degree from The University of New Mexico in 1922 and by 1924 and 1927 he had received both a Masters and a Doctorate of Philosophy in Mathematics from The University of Illinois. From 1927 until 1931 he was an instructor at The University of Illinois.
Frank C. Ogg married Florence Sutton on July 14, 1928. Florence was a graduate student in Mathematics at The University of Illinois. Frank and Florence moved to Bowling Green, Ohio in the Summer of 1931. He would serve as Associate Professor from 1931-1940; Professor from 1940-1969; and Chair of the Mathematics Department from 1947-1969 at Bowling Green State University.
After Ogg's retirement in June 1969, the Board of Trustees named the divisional library of Mathematics and Science in the new Mathematical Science Building the "Frank C. Ogg Library of Mathematics and Science".
Ogg was active in the B.G. Town and Gown Club, Faculty Senate, the Torch Club, and many other organizations. He and his wife Florence had five children: Dr. Frank C. Ogg, Jr., Virginia Caroline Ogg Magada, Florence Marcie Ogg Smith, Dr. Andrew Pollard Ogg; and Oscar Robert Ogg. Frank Ogg died on June 9, 1976.
The Frank C. Ogg Collection is almost evenly divided between family documentation in the form of correspondence and photographic materials and his classroom instructional texts, notebooks, lectures, and the like.
The correspondence provides a glimpse into Ogg's relationship with the immediate members of his family. Some of the legal and financial documents shed additional light on the family's business affairs and Ogg's tenure at various universities.
Ogg's writings, classroom notes and instructional materials familiarize the researcher to some degree with his research and teaching method in mathematics. One would have to have some knowledge of mathematics to fully utilize and appreciate the specialized documents.
Ogg's speeches written for the B.G. Town and Gown Club provide further insights into his thoughts as an educator and active community member. One of his speeches, "Looking Backward" highlights portions of BGSU's history. It appears that history was an area of particular interest to Ogg, specifically the history of science.
The photographic materials and negatives comprise one cubic foot of the collection and are largely unidentified with the exception of three boxed and indexed sets of negatives from c.1916 in which individuals and places are identified. The photos and negatives pertain mostly to Ogg and his immediate family, primarily in the 1920s and early 1930's. Other general images seem to have been taken when the family was traveling and living in the West. To some extent, further identification of photos and negatives could be done by starting with the boxed/indexed negatives and then working backward through the folders of prints and negatives. There are only a small number of photographic prints in the collection, negatives predominate.
Includes letters to Frank Ogg and family members from his parents, maternal grandparents (grandfather was a former Confederate soldier during the Civil War), siblings and others. Some of Frank's replies are also included. A few items sent to his wife Florence are found here. Some correspondence between Frank and his colleagues and professional contacts are present. Included also are some railroad-related correspondence of his father O. J. Ogg which includes a booklet/schedule for President Taft's September 22-24, 1909 rail trip.
WRITINGS BY FRANK C. OGG
1913, 1927-1934, March 1970
Includes his dissertation, various published articles, and clippings from a 1913 newspaper series called "Public School Notes".
CLASSROOM NOTES, LECTURES, AND INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS
Arranged by Type of Document
Includes seminar papers, classroom notes, lectures and instructional "texts". A series of notebooks are identified by specific classes. Many of these notebooks date from the 1920s when Dr. Ogg was completing his undergraduate and graduate degrees. Others were probably used by him as an instructor. Mrs. Ogg's Mathematics Roundtable notebook and two of her Algebraic Geometry notebooks (1927-1928) are also included.
Includes speeches written by Dr. Ogg for the B.G. Town and Gown Club. One speech, entitled "Looking Backward" is a brief history of Bowling Green State University.
DEEDS, MORTGAGES, ABSTRACTS
Miscellaneous legal documents pertaining mostly to the Ogg and Sutton families.
LETTERS OF APPOINTMENT (CONTRACTS)
Frank Ogg's Academic Letters of Appointment at The University of New Mexico, The University of Illinois, and Bowling Green State University. One Letter of Appointment, dating 1947, is included for Florence Ogg.
MISCELLANEOUS HOUSEHOLD ACCOUNTS AND RECEIPTS
Record of various expenses, car payments, etc.
REPORT CARDS AND COMMENCEMENT DOCUMENTS
Mostly Ogg family grade school, high school and college grades and graduation documents.
Program for the Mathematical Society
Miscellaneous articles by Arnold Emch including his publication, Introduction to Algebraic Geometry. Mr. Emch was possibly a mentor to Dr. Ogg.
Miscellaneous newspaper clippings featuring the Ogg Family, primarily the Ogg family.
c.1920s (some earlier)
Arranged by Family and General Categories.
Includes mostly unidentified photographs which are Frank Ogg, his grandparents, parents and siblings. The general photographs feature scenic views of The University of Illinois buildings under construction, railroad images, automobiles and miscellaneous buildings.
NEGATIVES (SOME GLASS PLATE)
Arranged by Family and General Categories.
Includes many more negatives than printed photographs of same subject matter noted above. Three boxes of indexed negatives, c.1916, offer assistance in identifying the collection's photographs and negatives.
BOY SCOUT CARDS, PATCHES, BUTTONS, ETC.
These belonged to Dr. Frank C. Ogg's son, Frank, Jr.
Suitcase that college co-eds used to send their clothing home to be laundered, via. United States Postal Service.
- Correspondence, 2/15/1884-10/8/1905; 8/30/1906
- Correspondence, 5/14/1911-12/7/1913
- Correspondence, 4/19/1914-9/27/1915
- Correspondence, 12/24/1916-10/15/1918
- Correspondence, 10/16/1918-5/18/1919
- Correspondence, 4/11/1921-11/26/1929
- Correspondence, 1/24/1930-12/25/1934
- Correspondence, 1/22/1935-10/7/1937
- Correspondence, 1/13/1938-12/19/1938
- Correspondence, 2/23/1940-1949
- Correspondence, 3/27/1951-9/18/1960
- Correspondence - Frank C. Ogg's Retirement, 1/31/1969-7/31/1969
- Correspondence - Railroad (O.J. Ogg) Includes booklet and schedule for President Taft's rail trip from September 22-24, 1909, 1891-1909 (scattered)
- Writings of Frank C. Ogg (includes his dissertation and articles), 1927-6/1934; 3/1970
- Notes and draft for "Certain Configurations on Cubics" by Frank C. Ogg, n.d.
- Speeches by Frank C. Ogg at the B.G. Town and Gown Club, 3/8/1943-10/22/1956
- Speeches by Frank C. Ogg at the BG Town and Gown Club, 11/24/1958-3/10/1969
- Miscellaneous Speeches and Notes by Frank C. Ogg, c. 1960s
- News articles on "Public School Notes" by Frank C. Ogg, 1913
- Story by Oscar R. Ogg, 3/5/1953
- Mathematics Roundtable Notebook Belonging to Florence Sutton Ogg, 1927
- Algebraic Geometry Notebooks (2) Belonging to Florence Sutton Ogg, 1927-1928
- 2 Deeds, Mortgages, Abstracts for Ogg and Sutton Families, 4/23/1859-2/2/1935
- Miscellaneous Legal Documents 7/26/1887-3/23/1942
- Legal Documents for the Estate of L. P. Ogg, 3/1931-1/1932
- Letters of Appointment for Frank C. Ogg from The University of New Mexico and The University of Illinois, 2/1/1921-2/17/1931
- Letters of Appointment for Frank C. Ogg from Bowling Green State University, 8/24/1935-4/15/1968
- Miscellaneous Financial Documents, 3/24/1902-12/31/1960 (scattered)
- Report Cards, Commencement Documents for the Ogg Family for Grade School, High School and College (some for Chappell and Sutton Families), 1894; 1910-1939
- Miscellaneous American Mathematical Society Programs, 12/27/1931-12/31/1931; 1934
- News clippings for the Ogg Family, 1960's
- Boy Scout Cards, Patches, Etc. for Frank Ogg, Jr., 1940's
- "Introduction to Projective Geometry for College Students" Notebook by Frank C. Ogg, n.d.
- Geometric Constructions, n.d.
- Mathematics for College Freshmen Instructional Text, Table of Content, Chapter VI, n.d.
- Mathematics for College Freshmen Instructional Text, Table of Content, Chapter VI to XVII, n.d.
- Differential Equations (book manuscript) Instructional "Text" by Frank ...(?), Parts I-III, 8/11/1972
- Differential Equations (book manuscript) Instructional "Text" by Frank ...(?), Parts IV-V, 8/11/1972
- Group Theory Lectures 1-11, n.d.
- Group Theory Lectures 12-22, n.d.
- Seminar Papers (Math 181), 1921-1922
- Seminar Papers (Math 182), 1921-1922
- Math 131 (pp. 1-56) Notebook, c.1920's
- Math 131 (pp. 56-158) Notebook, c.1920's
- Lecture Notes, n.d.
- Articles by Arnold Emch, 1918-1931
- "Introduction to Algebraic Geometry" by Arnold Emch, n.d.
- Miscellaneous Notebooks (5) for Math 115, c.1920's
- Miscellaneous Notebooks (2) for Physics 132b, I & II, 1925
- Miscellaneous Notebooks (3) for Physics 132e, I - III, ca. 1920s
- Notebook for Math S130, 1926
- Miscellaneous Notebooks (3) for Algebraic Geometry, I - III, n.d.
- Notebook for Non-Euclidian Geometry, n.d.
- Family Photographs of Frank C. Ogg and His Brother Bob (in uniform), c. 1920s-c. 1930s
- Family Photographs of Frank C. Ogg's Mother and Her Children Virginia, Oscar, Bob, and Others, c. 1920s-c. 1930s
- Family Photographs of Frank C. Ogg's Siblings, Swimming, c. 1920s
- Family Photographs of Virginia Ogg in Costume, c.1920's
- Family Photographs of Individuals in Costume?, c.1920's
- Family Photographs of Frank C. Ogg as a WWI Soldier and Family; WWI Parade; Other Soldiers, c. 1920s
- Family Photographs of children (some Boy Scouts), c.1920's
- Family Photographs of Frank C. Ogg Family With Pets/Animals, c.1920s
- Family Photographs of Frank C. Ogg Family Ice Skating (negatives for other sports), c. 1920s
- Family Photographs (Miscellaneous), c.1920's
- General Photographs of Pets/Animals, c.1920's
- General Photographs of the Interior of Ogg's Home; a Laboratory, c.1910; 1920
- General Photographs of Automobiles, c.1920's
- General Railroad Related Photographs, c.1920s
- General Photographs of Landscapes, Floods, c.1920s
- General Photographs of the University of Illinois Buildings and Grounds; Stadium Under Construction (Some Colorado Images), c.1920s
- General Photographs of Miscellaneous Construction Buildings (includes Salida, Colorado High School, City Views of Denver, Colorado, c.1920s
- N1 Frank C. Ogg and Family Negatives (3 envelopes) c.1920's-c.1930's
- N2 Family Negatives (6 envelopes) of Frank C. Ogg's Mother, Oscar, Virginia, Bob, and Frank, Jr.), c.1920's-c.1930's
- N2-A Family Glass Plate Negatives (9 envelopes) of Frank C. Ogg's Mother With A Baby, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N3 Family Negatives (3 envelopes) of Frank C. Ogg's Siblings Swimming, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N4 Family Negatives (1 envelope) of Virginia Ogg in in a Costume, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N5 Family Negatives (1 envelope) of Individuals in Costume (Oscar and Frank Ogg), c.1920s-1930s
- N6 Family Negatives (2 envelopes) of WWI Soldiers (Frank C. Ogg) and WWI Parade, c.1920s-c.1930s
- N7 Family Negatives (4 envelopes) of Children, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N8 Family Negatives (2 envelopes) of Pets/Animals, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N8-A Family Glass Plate Negatives (2 envelopes), c.1920's-c.1930's
- N9 Family Negatives (3 envelopes) of Ice Skating, Football, Bike Riding, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N10 Family Negatives (5 envelopes) of Miscellaneous Photographs, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N11 General Negatives (2 envelopes) of Pets/Animals c.1920's-c.1930's
- N11-A General Glass Plate Negatives (3 envelopes) of Dogs, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N12 General Miscellaneous Negatives (2 envelopes) of the Interior of Ogg Home; Miscellaneous Negatives of a Lab, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N12-AGeneral Glass Plate Negatives (7 envelopes) of Miscellaneous Interior of Ogg Home, c.1910
- N13 General Negatives (1 envelope) of Automobiles c.1920's-c.1930's
- N14 General Negatives (1 envelope) Railroad, c.1920's-c.1930's.
- N15 General Negatives (1 envelope) of Landscapes and Floods, c.1920s-c.1930s
- N15-A General Glass Plate Negatives (5 envelopes), c.1920's-c.1930's
- N16 General Negatives (1 envelope) of The University of Illinois Buildings and Grounds, c.1920s-c.1930s
- N17 General Negatives (5 envelopes) of Miscellaneous Construction and Buildings, c.1920's-c.1930's
- N17-A General Glass Plate Negatives (8 envelopes), c.1920's-c.1930's
- N18 General Negatives (3 envelopes) of Miscellaneous Artwork, Tourist Attractions, Ships, c.1920's-c.1930's
- Negatives #1-#250 (with index) of Frank C. Ogg's Family (including him and his siblings and other members of his family; pets; tourist sites), c.1916
- Negatives #251-#500 (with index) of Frank C. Ogg's Family (including him and his siblings and other members of his family; pets; tourist sites), c.1916
- Negatives #501-#728 (with index) of Frank C. Ogg's Family (including him and his siblings and other members of his family; pets; tourist sites), c.1916
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy