Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
American Society of Women Accountants, Toledo Branch - MS 560
The records of the Toledo Chapter, Ohio, of the American Society of Women Accountants date from 1947 to 1984. The history of this professional organization is reflected in the collection which consists of meeting minutes, presidents' notebook, treasurer's records, annual reports, tax statements, membership records, national roster, correspondence, secretary files, program committee files, chapter development records, scrapbooks, publicity files and bulletins.
The records of the American Society of Women Accountants, Toledo Branch, Ohio, were donated to the Center for Archival Collections on October 10, 1989, with the cooperation of Sally B. Yeager. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. The collection was processed and the register drafted by Xiao-yang Jiang, a graduate intern in American Culture Studies, in November 1990.
The first Certified Public Accountant's certificate was granted by the state of New York in 1896. In 1933, nine women certified public accountants met in Chicago to form the American Woman's Society of Certified Public Accountants. In an effort to increase the opportunities for women in accounting, the American Society of Women Accountants was formed in 1938 under the sponsorship of AWSCPA. The new organization, with a broader base for membership, could reach out to women in all branches of accounting - public, private, and governmental - as well as the auditors, controllers, women office managers, and teachers of accounting; all who performed the functions of accounting but often without recognition.
American Society of Women Accountants (ASWA) is organized on a chapter system, and as of 1980, there are 108 active chapters located throughout the United States. The Society also offers membership-at-large to persons residing in an area having no chapter. Membership exceeds 5,500 and, since 1974, has been open to men.
The Toledo Chapter was initiated by fifteen members in 1947. They accepted the by-laws of the National Society and drafted their constitution. The purpose of the Chapter, following the by-laws, was to advance the interest of women in all fields of accounting. Within the Toledo Chapter, there gradually developed seven standing committees: award, bulletin, by-laws, chapter development, finance, publicity, and program. These committees were very active promoting the interests of women in the fields of accounting during the 1970s. By 1983, however, the Toledo Chapter disbanded.
The records of the American Society of Women Accountants, Toledo Branch, Ohio, documents the history of the professional organization from 1947 to 1984. The collection largely consists of minutes, president's notebooks, treasurer's records, membership records, committee files, news clippings, photographs, and bulletins.
The board meeting minutes date from 1954 to 1974. These minutes document the time and place of meetings, issues discussed, and actions taken. These minutes, although incomplete, are complemented by regular meeting minutes which date from 1954 to 1966; and by the president's notebooks dating from 1972 to 1980. Through a study of the documents, one can learn the changing attitudes and purposes of the Society as well as detect, to some degree, the opinion of the local and national Society about women as professional accountants.
Various other sources reflect the activities and attitudes of the American Society of Women Accountants. The programs initiated by the committees reveal the progress and development of accounting as a profession for females, which emerged during and after WWII. News clippings dating from 1947 to 1970 and bulletins also illustrate the advancement of the organization.
The Toledo Chapter kept close touch with the national Society as well as other chapters in the neighboring states. As a result, the collection contains correspondence and other records which reflect the activities of these other chapters as well as the national Society.
Consists of the minutes of the ASWA Toledo Chapter Board, including time and place of meetings, issues discussed, decisions made.
Consists of the minutes of Toledo Chapter regular meetings. Includes readings of correspondence, reports, action taken.
CHAPTER PRESIDENTS' MEETINGS
May 23, 1954
Contains regional reports on research, chapter development, legislation, publicity, education, bulletin; attendance records; and, an essay entitled, "Womanagement."
Includes reports to the president from committees and correspondence with the national ASWA.
Includes reports from the committees and financial conditions.
Consists of financial statements.
Includes annual tax reports.
1947-1964, 1968-1974, 1977-1979
Contains membership financial reports, dues, and national rosters.
1954-1957, 1971-1972, 1974-1975
Includes letters of recommendation for membership; meeting notices; and letters to committee chairs.
1956-1962, 1972-1973, 1977-1978
Contains certification of meetings and minutes.
PROGRAM COMMITTEE FILES
1958-1965, 1976, 1977.
Consists of program planning
Includes explanation of award rules.
Includes explanations of yearbook committee's duty.
MANUAL OF PROCEDURE
1949, 1950, 1952, 1968, 1973
Contains procedures for all committees and officers.
Consists of plans for chapter development.
CLIPPINGS AND SCRAPBOOKS
Contains news clippings from various local papers covering the chapter's beginning, its activities, dinners, membership and special events.
Includes newspaper announcements, autobiography of speakers at the Toledo Chapter, and other committee activities.
Contains "Mirrorscope" and a few bulletins of other chapters.
PUBLICITY COMMITTEE FILE
Includes plans and procedures of public relations programs.
- Board Meeting, July 1954-December 1956
- Board Meeting, January 1957-December 1958
- Board Meeting, January 1959-December 1961
- Board Meeting, January 1962-June 1965
- Board Meeting, August 1965-July 1966
- Board Meeting, July 1967-June 1970
- Board Meeting, July 1973-June 1974
- Regular Meetings, September 1954-December 1956
- Regular Meetings, January 1957-December 1958
- Regular Meetings, January 1959-December 1961
- Regular Meetings, January 1962-May 1965
- Regular Meetings, June 1965-June 1966
- Chapter Presidents' Meeting, May 23, 1954
- President's Messages, 1972-1973
- President's File, 1 of 2, 1972-1973
- President's File, 2 of 2, 1972-1973
- President's Notebook, 1 of 2, 1973-1974
- President's Notebook, 2 of 2, 1973-1974
- President's Notebook, 1 of 3, 1974-1975
- President's Notebook, 2 of 3, 1974-1975
- President's Notebook, 3 of 3, 1974-1975
- President's Notebook, 1 of 3, 1975-1976
- President's Notebook, 2 of 3, 1975-1976
- President's Notebook, 3 of 3, 1975-1976
- President's Notebook, 1 of 3, 1976-1977
- President's Notebook, 2 of 3, 1976-1977
- President's Notebook, 3 of 3, 1976-1977
- President's Notebook, 1 of 3, 1977-1978
- President's Notebook, 2 of 3, 1977-1978
- President's Notebook, 3 of 3, 1977-1978
- President's Notebook (ASWA Roster), March 1974
- President's Notebook, 1 of 3, 1979-1980
- President's Notebook, 2 of 3, 1979-1980
- President's Notebook, 3 of 3, 1979-1980
- Annual Report, 1972-1973, 1974-1975
- Annual Report, 1975-1976
- Annual Report, 1977-1978
- Treasurer's Records, 1947-1952, 1954-1955
- Treasurer's Records, 1955-1956
- Treasurer's Records, 1956-1958
- Treasurer's Records, 1958-1960
- Treasurer's Records, 1960-1961
- Treasurer's Records, 1962
- Treasurer's Records, 1963
- Treasurer's Records, 1964-1966
- Treasurer's Records, 1966-1967
- Treasurer's Records, 1967-1970
- Treasurer's Records, June 1971-June 1972
- Treasurer's Records, June 1970-June 1973
- Treasurer's Records, June 1973-June 1974
- Treasurer's Records, June 1974-June 1975
- Treasurer's Records, June 1976-June 1977
- Treasurer's Records, June 1977-June 1978
- Treasurer's Records, June 1978-June 1979
- Tax Statements, 1953-1975
- Financial Reports: Membership, 1947-1950
- Financial Reports: Membership, 1951-1954
- Membership records, 1953-1954
- Membership records, 1 of 2, 1955-1962
- Membership records, 2 of 2, 1955-1962
- Membership records, 1963-1964
- Membership records, 1968-1974
- Membership records, 1977-1979
- National roster, 1972
- National roster, 1979
- Correspondence, 1954-1957
- Correspondence, 1971-1972
- Correspondence, 1974-1975
- Secretary File, 1956-1962
- Secretary File, 1972-1973
- Secretary File, 1977
- Secretary File, 1978
- Program Committee File, 1958-1960
- Program Committee File, 1961-1963
- Program Committee File, 1964-1965
- Program Committee File, 1976-1977
- Award Committee, 1973
- Yearbook Committee, 1973-1974
- Manual of Procedure, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1968
- Manual of Procedure, 1973
- Chapter Development, 1973-1978
- Chapter Development, 1979-1980
- Chapter Development, 1980-1984
- Scrapbook, 1947-1952
- Scrapbook, 1947-1974 (scattered)
- Clippings and Publication, 1947-1970
- Clippings and Publication, 1947-1970
- Publicity, 1954-1955
- Publicity, 1956-1957
- Publicity, 1957-1958
- Publicity, 1959-1961
- Publicity, 1961-1964
- Publicity, 1964-1965
- Publicity Manual, 1966
- Publicity, 1965-1966
- Publicity, 1967-1968
- Publicity, 1970-1971
- Publicity, 1972-1973
- Publicity, 1974-1975
- Publicity, 1975-1976
- Publicity, 1976-1977
- Bulletins, 1970-1973
- Bulletins, 1 of 3, 1978-1979
- Bulletins, 2 of 3, 1978-1979
- Bulletins, 3 of 3, 1978-1979
- Bulletins, 1980-1981
- Bulletins, 1981-1983
- Publicity Committee File, 1972-1978
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy