Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Gaylord Rufus Lewis Papers - MS 416
The Gaylord Rufus Lewis Papers are comprised largely of photographs with a small amount of printed materials, documenting his work as a consultant designer of fairgrounds and fair buildings. The papers and photographs largely date from 1913 - 1967.
The collection was donated by Darlene Lewis on January 14, 1986. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection and the photographs may be duplicated for research purposes. The collection was processed and arranged by Jason Huber, student assistant, in April 1997.
Very little information is available on Gaylord Rufus Lewis. Family members have been trying to put together some information which they will make available to the Center. At that time, this biographical sketch will be updated.
The bulk of the G.R. Lewis Collection lies in the photographs which date from the 1910s through most of the 1960s. The photographs depict mostly the work G.R. did as a fairgrounds design consultant and are well identified. They illustrate the various steps in the design and construction process of the fairgrounds and buildings. Many of the photographs depict various grandstands from around the country. Also within the photographs are some family pictures, most of which are unidentified.
The printed material in the collection contains a questionnaire and a mailer for future clients, letterhead from his office and programs from various expositions and fairs.
The main weakness of the collection is the lack of dates and identification for many of the photographs. Also we know little about G.R. Lewis' life outside of his fairground work.
Questionnaire and letterhead from the office of G.R. Lewis
Drawing of the layout for a fairground in Atlanta, Georgia
Programs from various fair expositions.
PHOTOGRAPHS--G.R. LEWIS, FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Photographs of G. R. Lewis with family members and friends
Arranged by project
Photographs and plans for various projects done by G. R. Lewis
PHOTOGRAPHS--EXHIBITIONS AND FAIRS
Photographs of exhibitions and pageants at various fairs.
- Advertising File, (1950)
- Drawn map of Fair Grounds in Atlanta, n.d.
- Programs, 1950, 1953, 1989, 1990
- Photographs, 1913-1965
- Photographs, n.d.
- Allentown Expo Center, July 8, 1967
- Civic Center and Fair Grounds, Belmont, Ohio, n.d.
- Calgary Canada-Fair Grounds, n.d.
- Chester Park, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1928
- Congo, West Virginia-Grandstand, 1948
- Fulton County Fair, Wauseon, Ohio, 1950
- Hancock County Fair Commercial Building, Findlay, Ohio, 1916-1917
- Hendersonville, North Carolina-Grandstand, April 12, 1941
- Laporte County Fair, April 17, 1967
- Midland Empire State Fair, August 1964
- Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania-Grandstand, n.d.
- New Kensington, Pennsylvania-Grandstand, n.d.
- Raleigh, N.C., Physical Education Building, n.d.
- Troy, Ohio-Grandstand, n.d.
- Tulsa University-Grandstands, n.d.
- Uniontown, Pennsylvania-swimming pool, n.d.
- Waterloo, Iowa-Grandstands, n.d.
- Unidentified projects, 1924-1928
- Unidentified projects, n.d.
- Fair Exhibition Photographs, 1924, n.d.
- Charleston, West Virginia, April 14, 1950
- Beauty Pageants, 1961, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy