Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Mary Catholic Church (Wakeman, Ohio) - MS 382 mf
The records of St. Mary Catholic Church, 1905 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in November 2001, with the cooperation of Sister Edna Michel of St. Mary Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) According to Sister Edna Michel, the early record books were lost and therefore, unavailable for microfilming at this time.
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in November 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
St. Mary Catholic Church in Wakeman began as a Station of Elyria in 1853. Between 1853 and 1863, the parish only received occasional visits from a priest. In 1863, the care of St. Mary was transferred to St. Mary Catholic Church in Norwalk. In 1872, the parish completed their first church. With the building of the church the status of the parish was changed from a Station to a Mission. The parish received their first resident priest, Father F.X. Nunan in 1875.
Between 1895 and 1904, the parish served several Stations in the vicinity, including Camden, New London and Greenwich. In 1972, St. Mary Catholic Church, once again, became a Mission of St. Paul in Norwalk. This relationship lasted until 1978. In 1978 they became a Mission of Milan. This lasted until 1984. Since 1984, the parish has been served by a pastoral administrator.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 249 - 252.
- First Communions, 1960 - 2000
- Confirmations, 1964 - 2000
- Interments, 1931 - 1958
- Deaths, 1959 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1905 - 1958
- Baptisms, 1958 - 2001
- Marriages, 1907 - 2001
Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1875-September 27, 1964
- Confirmations, 1879-1964
- Marriages, 1875-March 8, 1964
- Deaths, 1878-April 27, 1964
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy