Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Mary Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 339 mf
The records of St. Mary Catholic Church, 1941 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in April 2002, with the cooperation of Father David Beck of St. Mary Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin.
Some of the St. Mary Catholic Church records were previously microfilmed in September 1997 with the cooperation of Sister Virginia Welsh of St. Mary's. At that time the baptisms were filmed through 1940. First Communions, Confirmations, Marriages and Deaths were filmed through 1960.
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel in April 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
On January 6, 1854, Father Charles Evrard was assigned the duty of establishing the first German speaking parish in Toledo, St. Mary Catholic Church. This parish was established so that the German speaking members of St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church could have their own services and church. The parish began building their first church in the summer of 1854 and it was completed in March of 1857.
By the turn of the 19th Century the German population began to shift to the west of Toledo. Because of this shift the parish bought two acres of land on Page Street, between Cherry Street and Vermont Avenue, in order to relocate. The new church, school and auditorium were completed in 1904. Masses were said at both locations until 1932.
Beginning in the early 1940's the membership slowly began to decline. In 1941, there were 2,000 members. By 1980, there were only 700 members.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central Section Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 60 - 65.
The CAC also holds a collection of non-sacramental records for St. Mary's Catholic Church Loyola Club, which consists of scrapbooks of printed material and correspondence with servicemen during World War I.
- Baptismal Register, 1854-1865
- Baptismal Register, 1866-1900
- Baptismal Register, 1901-1912
- Baptismal Register (baptisms outside the church), 1909-1922
- Baptismal Register, 1912-1924
- Marriage Register, 1854-1900
- Marriage Register, 1901-1918
- Marriage Register, 1919-1941
- Marriage Register, 1941-1990
- Confirmation Register, 1893-1918
- Confirmation/First Communion Register, 1919-1960
- Church Census (includes children's birth date), 1854-1886
- Death Register, 1919-1959
Roll 4 (Restrictions Apply)
- Baptismal Register, 1925-1927, 1931
- Baptismal Register, 1928-1940
- Record Book (includes deaths, first communion, confirmation and cemetery records), 1868-1918
- First Communions, 1955 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1958 - 2001
- Deaths, 1960 - 2002
Roll 7 (Restrictions Apply)
- Baptisms, 1941 - 1949
- Baptisms, 1950 - 1955
- Baptisms, 1955- 1966
- Baptisms, 1966 - 1982
- Baptisms, 1982 - 2001
- Marriages, 1990- 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy