Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Thomas More Catholic Church (Bowling Green, Ohio) - MS 331 mf
The records of St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 1959 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in June 2002, with the cooperation of Sr. Mary Kuhlman of St. Rose Catholic Church. The records of this church were previously filmed in 1997, with a 2002 update to the original filming.
The initial collection consists of two volumes, the first of which contains death records for the years 1971-1997. The second volume of marriage records spans the dates 1975-1997. Also included in this volume is residence, place/date of marriage, place/date of baptism, parents, witnesses, priest, dispensation and remarks.
The addition to the collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations and marriages*. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel in June 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The parish of St. Thomas More Catholic Church began as a club called the Newman Club. The club met at St. Aloysius Catholic Church in Bowling Green. The pastor of St. Aloysius was interested in the lives of your college students. Father Horrigan sponsored the club in the 1940s. The club grew so much that Father Sullivan decided that they needed to break away from St. Aloysius church.
In 1956 property was purchased on Wooster Street for the club and in 1957 the Diocese of Toledo purchased property on Thurstin Street. They filled the houses on the property with students and they began the construction for a chapel. It was completed in 1958 and the first mass was offered. The chapel held 400 people. In the early 1960's they erected more buildings for student housing. They also remodeled the church to hold 700 people and built a student center.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central Section Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 171 - 172
- Death Register, 1971-1997
- Marriage Register, (includes baptismal dates as early as 1919. Also lists residence, place/date of marriage, place/date of baptism, parents, witnesses, priest, dispensation and remarks.), 1975-1977
- First Communions, 1968 - 2002
- Confirmations, 1985 - 2002
Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1966 - 1973
- Baptisms, 1974 - 1991
- Baptisms, 1991 - 2002
- Marriages, 1959 - 1974
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy