Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Faculty Dames/University Women - MS 290
The records of the Faculty Dames/University Women of Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio were first donated, with the cooperation of Helene M. Weinberger, on January 25, 1983, with additional material received periodically. The collection consists of material, both formal and informal, highlighting the activities of the organization spanning nearly 80 years - 1930 to the present.
No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection. The register was first prepared by Karen Roberts in April 1985 and later updated by Ann Bowers and Marilyn Levinson as additional material was received.
The Faculty Dames began their recorded history in October of 1930 with 27 members present. Because of a reference to a former president in the first entry it is assumed that this organization began prior to 1930, although it is not exactly known when nor is there a reference to their beginning in any portion of this collection. It is known however that the organizations' officers change yearly.
Up until March of 1940, the Faculty Dames meetings were held in the homes of different members each month from October to May. In March of 1940 when the membership roster included 67 members, the Faculty Dames began to hold their meetings in various available lounges and rooms on the University Campus. When the Executive Board was organized in 1967, the Board returned to holding the monthly meetings in their homes. The membership meetings were reduced to one annual meeting but members still participated in various monthly programs set up by the Board.
Among the major changes which have occurred in this organization was the adoption of a less formal atmosphere of club meetings, which occurred in 1941. A second change was the formal name change in April 1972 of Faculty Dames to University Women of Bowling Green State University.
The creation of by-laws in November of 1966 formally established the Faculty Dames (later University Women) organization and stated their often repeated object: "to encourage a friendly and cooperative spirit within its diversified membership and to foster a continuing interest in the University." A Newcomer objective was injected in 1969: "to acquaint new faculty and staff men and wives with BGSU and the BG community. To assist new faculty and staff women and wives in meeting and socializing with established faculty and staff members. To provide an opportunity and forum for exchange of ideas and interest."
University Women continues as an organization with monthly meetings and many special interest groups for members about such topics as gardening, investment, gourmet dining, antiques, and books.
The major strength of the Faculty Dames/University Women Collection can be attributed to the organization's Executive Board, which began in 1967. Through the activities of this group, as seen in its minutes and newsletters, various monthly programs, a series of annual activity folders, and special interest groups developed which kept the members involved and active in the organization.
The scope of membership activity is illustrated in the rosters and program activity books. The news clippings and newsletters also provide details on programs, interest groups, officers and meetings. The records of Faculty Dames and then University Women are fairly complete for the early years up through the mid-1990s; after this time, the records become more scattered.
FACULTY DAMES/UNIVERSITY WOMEN'S MINUTES
October 1930-October 1979, 1981-1990 (scattered)
Includes procedures followed for running meetings, reports of activities, annual reports, financial reports, meeting places, and the organization of an Executive Board, committees, and interest groups. It also includes some membership lists.
November 1966 - July 1978, n.d
Includes the name and object of the organization, and rules governing membership and dues, officers and elections, duties of officers, meetings, standing committees, Parliamentary authority, amendments, nominations, vacancies, and proposals.
MEMBERSHIP LIST - EXECUTIVE BOARD
Includes names of the Executive Board, Ex-officio members, committee chairmen, and members-at-large.
1956-1957, 1960-1964, 1970-1984, 1989-1990
Includes the list of all members, husbands' names and positions at BGSU. Starting in 1971, the membership lists are in booklet form and also includes the officers and programs for the entire year.
MEMBERSHIP LIST - NEWCOMERS
Includes a description of the group and its objectives. Also includes complete membership lists, including the Newcomers executive board and programs.
MEMBERSHIP LIST - ACCOUNT TO BGSU OFFICERS AND STAFF
Includes Administrative Officers with faculty rank which determined Faculty Dames membership eligibility.
Includes program confirmations, and correspondence between the club and club members, the community, other womens clubs and other Universities.
SUBJECT FILES/CASE FILES
Includes chairmen for all committees of the year 1962-1963.
Arranged by committee and chronologically
Includes lists, letters, manuals, financial records for such committees as membership, nominating, phone, planning and art auction.
REPORT OF COMMITTEE ON ATTENDANCE
Includes a complete report with data sheet on present attendance and projected future attendance.
Includes financial report on the costs of the 1967 and 1968 dinner dances, and the costs of various programs between the years 1970 and 1973. Also includes a ledger of expenses, receipts and membership dues/lists from 1965 to 1992.
1967, 1970-1971, 1974-1975, n.d
Includes reports on Christmas dances - 1967-1968, procedures followed for programs, and two individual reports concerning a Tiffin trip and a fashion show.
TRIBUTE TO JEAN JEROME
A tribute on the accomplishments and spirit of Jean Jerome at BGSU.
SCRAPBOOK AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL
FACULTY DAMES/UNIVERSITY WOMEN NEWSLETTERS
Includes some lists of officers, all programs for 12 years, all interest groups,
messages, announcements, general accomplishments of members, membership lists,
newcomers activities, and community related activities. Some later newsletters can
be found in the annual activity folders
Includes newsclippings of various functions, meetings, and activities.
Includes all programs in booklet form for 18 years. Officers and committee chairmen are listed as well.
Includes generalized formats for all programs for 11 years. See the newsletter for more complete information on these programs.
Includes detailed formats of programs listed in the newsletters and program listings. Many of the formats are colorful and original.
Includes detailed reports - date, place, chairman, attendance, cost program, comments - of all programs.
Includes loose items from various interest groups, some with descriptions.
PASTEUPS AND GRAPHIC MASTERS
Miscellaneous master sheets used for newsletters, invitations and other graphic needs
News-clippings highlighting activities of University Women. Oversize/wrapped
Includes three photographs of Faculty Dame functions.
Album of University Women activities including a Fall Brunch, Christmas Party, bus trip to the Detroit Institute of Art, and a wine-tasting fundraiser
- Faculty Dames Minutes October 1930-April 1936
- Faculty Dames Minutes September 1936-May 1946
- Faculty Dames Minutes October 1946-May 1953
- Faculty Dames Minutes September 1953-May 1956
- Faculty Dames Minutes September 1956-April 1959
- Faculty Dames Minutes October 1959-May 1967
- Faculty Dames Minutes September 1967-May 1970
- Faculty Dames Minutes July 1970-April 1972
- University Women Minutes May 1972-March 1976
- University Women Minutes May 1967-April 1977
- University Women Minutes June 1977-October 1979, 1981-1990, (scattered)
- By-Laws November 1966-July 1978, n.d.
- Membership List - Executive Board, 1967-1980, 1983-1984
- Membership List - Complete, 1956-1957, 1960-1964, 1970-1984, 1989-1990
- Membership List - Newcomers, 1971-1979
- Membership List - By BGSU Administrative Officers and Staff, 1942-1943, 1970
- Correspondence, 1969-1979
- Correspondence related to postal status, 1974-1975
- Standing Committees, 1962-1963
- Ad Hoc Committee, 1972
- Membership Committee, 1967, 1971-1976
- Nominating Committee, 1971-1972
- Phoning Committee, 1975-1977
- Art Auction File, May 1966 - April 1967
- Report - Committee on Attendance, March 1972
- Report/Ledger - Financial, 1965-1992
- Report on Programs, 1967, 1970-1971, 1974-1975, n.d.
- Annual activity folder, 1980-1981
- Annual activity folder, 1981-1982
- Annual activity folder, 1982-1983
- Annual activity folder, 1983-1984
- Annual activity folder, 1984-1985
- Annual activity folder, 1985-1986
- Annual activity folder, 1986-1987
- Annual activity folder, 1987-1988
- Annual activity folder, 1988-1989
- Annual activity folder, 1989-1990
- Annual activity folder, 1990-1991
- Annual activity folder, 1991-1992
- Annual activity folder, 1992-1993
- Annual activity folder, 1993-1994
- Annual activity folder, 1994-1995
- Tribute to Jean Jerome, n.d.
- Faculty Dames Newsletter, September 1967-1972 (scattered)
- University Women Newsletter, September 1972-September 1989; 2008-2009 (scattered)
- News clippings, October 1959, September 1966-October 1977
- Programs, 1949-1967
- Programs, 1969-1975, 1976-1981, 1982-1985, 1986-1987
- Individual Programs, 1948-1984
- Program Summaries, May-June 1967, 1975-1978
- Interest Groups, 1967-1975
- Worksheets and pasteups from printed material, n.d.
- Worksheets and pasteups from printer material, n.d.
- Photographs, 1947
- Photo album, 2007
- Scrapbook, 1973-1981
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy