Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Paul Catholic Church (Norwalk, Ohio) - MS 286 mf
The records of St. Paul Catholic Church, 1868 - 2001 and St. Peter Catholic Church, 1851 - 1891, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in November 2001, with the cooperation of Father Franklin P. Kehres of St. Paul Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in November 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The history of St. Paul Catholic Church begins with the history of St. Peter Catholic Church. St. Peter Catholic Church was the original German speaking church in Norwalk. It began in 1836 as a Station, and later a Mission, of Peru. In 1841, the parish built its first church. For a couple of years, several churches served St. Peter, including Thompson and Peru. In 1853, the parish received its first resident pastor. In 1859, the Diocese decided to establish an English speaking Catholic Church, St. Mary Catholic Church.
In 1867, two lots were purchased on the opposite side of town from St. Peter. This was done with the hope of relocating the German speaking church to this current location. The reason for the relocation was to appease the new German speaking members that had settled on this side of town and wanted the church close to them. The new church was completed in 1868, but 1/3 of the members refused to relocate to the new church. Both churches, known as St. Peter Catholic Church, wanted their own priest and to remain autonomous. In 1871, the Diocese realized that there was no way to create a union between the two, so a priest was assigned to both churches. In 1872, both received their own priest. Father Drolshagen served mass at the old St. Peter and Father Dechant served the new St. Peter. This arrangement only lasted for one year. In 1873, Father Drolshagen left and the old parish became a Mission of the new parish. In this same year, the new St. Peter church was rededicated and became known as St. Paul Catholic Church. In 1874, the old parish received another priest, but by now their membership was dwindling and in 1891 the Diocese reassigned the priest to another parish. St. Peter church remained as a "chapel of ease" for the elderly for several more years, but the priest of St. Paul served it.
In 1876, St. Paul built a new brick church. Due to the steady growth in membership a new church was completed in 1893. This church is still in use to this day.
Between the years 1972 and 1978, St. Paul Catholic Church served St. Mary Catholic Church in Wakeman.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 261 - 270.
- Record Book, (St. Peter Catholic Church) 1851 - 1864
- Record Book, (St. Peter Catholic Church, St. Paul Catholic Church) 1858 - 1916
- First Communions
- Record Book, (St. Peter Catholic Church, St. Paul Catholic Church) 1859 - 1917
- First Communions
- Baptisms, 1871 - 1906
- Baptisms, 1906 - 1928
- Record Book, 1918 - 1941
- First Communions
- First Communions, 1941 - 1963
- First Communions, 1964 - 1988
- First Communions, 1989 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1941 - 1961
- Confirmations, 1964 - 1999
- Confirmations, 2000 - 2001
- Interments, 1859 - 1891
- Interments, 1894 - 1944
- Deaths, 1944 - 1967
- Deaths, 1967 - 1993
- Deaths, 1993 - 2001
Roll 4 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1928 - 1944
- Baptisms, 1944 - 1950
- Baptisms, 1950 - 1958
- Baptisms, 1959 - 1966
Roll 5 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1966 - 1977
- Baptisms, 1977 - 1988
- Baptisms, 1988 - 1999
- Baptisms, 1999 - 2001
- Marriages, 1944 - 1954
Roll 6 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Marriages, 1954 - 1972
- Marriages, 1972 - 1994
- Marriages, 1893 - 1943
- Marriages, 1994 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy