Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Joan Brisbin Wills Papers - MS 267
The family papers of Joan Brisbin Wills (Mrs. Robert Wills), a Toledo, Ohio resident, chronicles the years from 1910 to 1970, with some family genealogical information back to 1545. Primarily, the collection profiles the lives and careers of Mrs. Wills' aunts, Neva King Lambert and Hazel King Schneider, and her mother, Ruth King Brisbin, as student nurses at the Toledo Hospital School of nursing and later as registered nurses from the 1920's through the 1930's. Ruth King Brisbin's career later took her to the Wood County Hospital, spanning the years from 1930 to 1970.
The records were donated and transferred tot he Center for Archival Collections in January and February 1984 through the cooperation of Joan Brisbin Wills and Ann Bowers, Assistant Director/University Archivist at the Center for Archival Collections. There are no restrictions placed upon any part of this collection. The register was prepared by Mary A. Bosh in April 1985 and revised by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in January 1992.
Joan Brisbin Wills (Mrs. Robert Wills) was born Joan Marie Brisbin, on July 16, 1931. The only daughter of Frederick and Ruth King Brisbin, Mrs. Wills has a lengthy maternal family history extending back to her eighteenth century ancestor, the Reverend John King. He had emigrated to Virginia in 1787, and to Perry County, Ohio around 1802. A descendant, Peter King, living in McClure, Ohio had three daughters, Neva, Hazel, and Ruth, around whom the collection centers.
Neva King, the oldest daughter of Peter and Georgia VanPelt King, was born around 1902. She attended McClure High School and graduated with the class of 1920. After graduation, she entered the Toledo Hospital School of Nursing (THSN) in Toledo, Ohio, graduating in 1923. She received her Ohio Nurses Registration in April 1924. She was married twice, first to Lee Crawford from around 1920 to 1937, and then to James Lambert. She died September 26, 1972.
Hazel King, the second daughter of the family, was born November 14, 1903. She also attended McClure High School and graduated with the class of 1923. Following in her sister's footsteps, she entered the THSN and graduated in 1926. Her Nurses Registration was issued in June 1927. In early 1935 she married Dewey Schneider. She died Sept. 5, 1963.
Ruth King, the third of the sisters, was born around 1909. Unlike her sisters, she attended Bowling Green High School, graduating with the class of 1927. As with Neva and Hazel, she entered the THSN. After graduation in 1930, she married Frederick Brisbin (b. Oct 23, 1905- d. Sept 26, 1972). On July 16, 1931, their daughter Joan Marie was born. Ruth worked at the Toledo Hospital until August 11, 1951, at which time she started work at the Wood County Hospital in Bowling Green, Ohio. She died August 22, 1982.
Joan Brisbin attended school in Bowling Green, graduating high school in 1949. On Oct. 22, 1949 she married Robert Francis Wills. While little information is available on Joan and Bob Wills, the collection does contain some genealogical information on the Wills family.
One family member mentioned occasionally in the records is Madaline Allen Wills. She was born around 1910 and graduated from Swanton High School in 1928. In June 1930 she married Andrew Deck, but in materials dated to the 1960's, she is mentioned as Mrs. A.E. Wills.
The heart of the Joan Brisbin Wills Family Papers lies in the large number of photographic prints, comprising nearly half of the material. Many of the photographs document the lives of the King sisters, primarily during the 1920's and 1930's, including pictures of family members, friends, the Toledo Hospital School of Nursing, and the family farm. While this series is limited in identification and time-frame, it does provide a basis for understanding the total collection.
Another large component of the papers is the collection of literary productions. The research notes, primarily genealogical in nature, includes information on the King, Brisbin, Wills, Hockaday, Sprague, and related families, with some data referring back to 1545.
Records of the Toledo Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association
CORRESPONDENCE - PETER KING
Jan 2, 1891-Mar 26, 1897 (scattered)
Various recommendations and certifications for/of Peter King from persons at schools he attended; reminder letter concerning class colors; and a request for a biographical sketch.
CORRESPONDENCE - RUTH BRISBIN
Sept 17, 1931-Jan 15, 1973 (scattered), n.d.
Miscellaneous letters to/from Ruth King Brisbin, including her resignation acceptance from Toledo Hospital, her classification for World War II service, and a letter from a doctor, declining payment for services.
CORRESPONDENCE - MISCELLANEOUS
Oct 19, 1922-Dec 14, 1966 (scattered), n.d.
Letter concerning Frederick Brisbin as a student; letters to/from Nell Wills; letter to Neva King Lambert from O.E.S. leaders; and a letter to Madaline Wills.
Arranged by subseries; then chronologically
Genealogical/family history research material for the Sprague, Cole, Kittell, Corning, Lowden, Youngblood, Hockaday, King, VanPelt, Myers, Shoemaker, Brisbin, and Wills families; grade school notebook of Neva King; and school notebooks, exams, and papers of Ruth King from nursing school.
Separate notebooks belonging to Peter King and James VanPelt, each with miscellaneous types of entries reflecting the author's life at the time.
School autograph albums of Georgia VanPelt, Ruth King, and Joan Brisbin; booklet describing the marriage and first four years of married life of Nell M. Hockaday and A.E. Wills; birth announcement of Irma Louise Allen; memorial record for Todd Eaken; babybook detailing the brief life of Mary Francis Wills; and Ruth King's record of High School Graduation gifts.
Circa 1911, Dec 1, 1926
Two pieces of poetry, "The Situation in Toledo", an anti-Catholic political handbill about Toledo; and a piece about the Ladies Aid Society, of which Mrs. Peter King was a member.
Two fire insurance policies, in German, for house and buildings on the property of Peter King; auto insurance policy and card for Peter King's auto.
ABSTRACTS OF TITLE
1888-1946, 1888-1953, 1921
Arranged chronologically by first date in span
Two abstracts to land titles documenting previous ownership of land transferred to Susie B. Eaken, and to Frederick and Ruth Brisbin; automobile title for Peter King.
Sample copy of membership petition for Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons.
Nov 16, 1942
Grant of leave of absence to Fred (Ted) Brisbin.
BILLS AND RECEIPTS
1855, 1914, 1940, 1943-1944
Bill of sale of land to E.S. Blair; dues receipt of the Order of the Eastern Star for Georgia King; food, liquor ration coupons of Neva King Lambert; and bill/receipt for hospitalization of Ruth King.
Household accounts of Arthur and Nell Wills.
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS
1912-1953, 1926-1941(?), 1949
Ruth King scrapbook from High School and nursing; family scrapbook of the King sisters; and Senior Memories scrapbook of Joan Brisbin.
SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL (LOOSE)
Various items of the Toledo Weavers Guild, including membership roster, ribbons, photos, premium stub, and newspaper article.
MAPS, CHARTS, DIAGRAMS, GRAPHS, LISTS, ETC.
July 16, 1931-(December 1932?)
Weight chart for Joan Brisbin.
1917, 1921, 1956
Membership card, and reminder of lodge meeting for Peter King; reminder card for Eastern Star meeting for Neva King Lambert.
Miscellaneous certificates, including grade report, merit cards, and teaching certificate of Peter King; certificate of baptism, school promotion, high school diploma, nurses registration, and marriage license of Hazel King; school certificate of Frederick Brisbin; diploma and nurses registration of Neva King; marriage license and certificate for Madaline Allen and Andrew Deck; Sunday School certificate of Mary Francis Wills; and Sunday School promotions for Joan Brisbin.
1932, 1936-1980, n.d.
Constitution and bylaws of the Toledo Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association; constitution and bylaws of Order of the Eastern Star; personnel and fire instruction booklets for Toledo Hospital and/or Wood County Hospital; patient information booklet from Toledo Hospital.
Baccalaureat and commencement programs for Ruth King and Joan Brisbin; various awards programs at Toledo Hospital and Wood County Hospital; commencement program of Toledo Hospital School of Nursing.
Employee notices and Wood County Hospital pay scale; Girl Scout project request program.
Arranged chronologically in topical groups or albums
Tintypes, black and white, and color prints, both loose and mounted in albums. Includes King sisters as children, student nurses, and young women; Nell Hockaday Wills and the Hockaday Family; various Wills Family members; Joan Brisbin during childhood and young adulthood; Toledo Hospital and nursing friends; farm machinery and rural life; vacation photos; and miscellaneous friends. Some albums and oversized items are wrapped separately.
- Membership records - Toledo Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association 1966, 1973
- Correspondence - Peter King, 1891-1897
- Correspondence - Ruth Brisbin, 1931-1973, n.d.
- Correspondence - Miscellaneous, 1922-1966. n.d.
- Research notes - Genealogy, family history of the Sprague family, 1545-1760 n.d.
- Research notes - Genealogy, family history of the Cole, Kittell, Corning and Lowden families, ca. 1600-1700 n.d.
- Research notes - Genealogy, family history of the Youngblood family n.d.
- Research notes - Sources of reference to the Hockaday family, 1693-1906 n.d.
- Research notes - Genealogy, family history of the King family, 1736-1896 n.d.
- Research notes - Sources of reference to the VanPelt family, 1779, 1896 n.d.
- Research notes - 1830 Ohio Census data on the Myers family n.d.
- Research notes - 1830 Ohio Census data on the Shoemaker family n.d.
- Research notes - Note on burial site/date of death of Robert Brisbin, 1876; and copy of death notice for Geneva Brisbin Miller, 1931 n.d.
- Research notes - Sources of reference to the Wills family, 1888-1907 n.d.
- Research notes - Neva King sewing notebook from high school 1916-1917
- Research notes - Ruth King miscellaneous class notes from Toledo Hospital School of Nursing 1927-1930
- Research notes - Ruth King dietetics notebook from Toledo Hospital School of Nursing 1937-1930
- Research notes - Ruth King nursing student exams and test sheets from Toledo Hospital School of Nursing 1927-1930
- Research notes - Ruth King handouts for nursing students from Toledo Hospital School of Nursing 1927-1930
- Research notes - Ruth King nurses case report/case study from Toledo Hospital School of Nursing Oct 1-6, 1929
- Memoirs - Peter King notebook with school notes, daily journal, personal accounts 1894-1895
- Memoirs - James VanPelt notebook with daily journal, dates in history, recipes, and accounts 1899-1901
- Reminiscences - Georgia VanPelt autograph album 1888-1889
- Reminiscences - Marriage record of Nell M. Hockaday and Arthur E. Wills 1919-1925
- Reminiscences - Birth announcement of Irma Louise Allen; memorial record for Todd Eaken 1921, 1959
- Reminiscences - Baby book for Mary Francis Wills 1921-1926
- Reminiscences - Ruth King High School graduation record 1927
- Reminiscences - Ruth King autograph album, 1927
- Reminiscences - Joan Brisbin autograph album, 1943-1944
- Reminiscences - Joan Brisbin autograph album, 1946
- Poetry - "The Situation in Toledo"; and poem on the Ladies Aid Society, c1911, 1926
- Insurance policies - Fire and auto policies 1917, 1928-1929
- Abstract of title - Land sold to Susie B. Eaken, 1888-1946
- Abstract of title - Land sold to Fred & Ruth Brisbin, 1888-1953
- Abstract of title - Car title of Peter King, 1921
- Petition - Membership petition sample, n.d.
- Agreement - Leave of absence for Fred Brisbin from Willys-Overland, 1942
- Bills and receipts - Bill of sale for land in Texas, Ohio to E.S. Blair, 1855
- Bills and receipts - Miscellaneous, 1914, 1943-1944
- Bills and receipts - Hospital bill of Ruth Brisbin, 1940
- Ledger - Family accounts of A.E. and Nell Wills, 1936-1941
- Scrapbook - Ruth King, 1926-1941
- Scrapbook materials - Toledo Weavers Guild, 1960-1967?
- Charts - Weight chart for Joan Brisbin, 1931-1932?
- Printed material - Cards, 1917, 1921, 1956
- Printed material - Certificates, circa 1880-1956
- Pamphlets - Manual of Guild of St. Barnabas for Nurses 1932
- Pamphlets - Program requirements of Toledo Hospital School of Nursing circa 1943
- Pamphlets - Toledo Hospital News October 1980
- Pamphlets - Ohio State Nurses Association District Highlights May 1957
- Pamphlets - Toledo Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association pamphlets 1936, 1961, n.d.
- Pamphlets - Toledo Hospital personnel booklet 1947
- Pamphlets - Order of the Eastern Star booklets 1947, 1953, 1956, 1970
- Pamphlets - Wood County Hospital personnel and fire instruction booklets 1955, n.d.
- Pamphlets - Toledo Hospital patient information n.d.
- Programs - Baccalaureate & graduations announcements of Ruth King and Joan Brisbin 1949, 1966
- Programs - Toledo Hospital School of Nursing commencement announcements 1930, 1933
- Programs - Toledo Hospital employee service awards 1945, 1947, 1948
- Programs - Wood County Hospital opening, and award/recognition dinners 1954?, 1964, 1968, 1970
- Programs - PTA booklet of Nell Wills 1965-1966
- Circulars - Wood County Hospital employee notices and pay scale 1955, 1960, 1961, 1967?
- Circulars - Girl Scout project request form n.d.
- Positive prints - Miscellaneous tintypes circa 1880
- Positive prints - Miscellaneous cabinet cards and photoprints of identified friends circa 1890, 1920s, 1928
- Positive prints - Miscellaneous unidentified cabinet cards and photoprints circa 1890-1962
- Positive prints - Mounted photo, possibly Mr. & Mrs. Samuel King circa 1900
- Positive prints - Mounted photo, funeral picture of "Grandpa King" circa 1900
- Positive prints - Neva, Hazel & Ruth King as children and as young women circa 1910, 1920s
- Positive prints - Miscellaneous black & white and color family photos including Nell Hockaday Wills 1900-1920?, 1940s-1960s, 1965, 1968
- Positive prints - Black & white photos belonging to Nell Hockaday Wills 1912, 1915, n.d.
- Positive prints - Hazel King's album of friends and nursing friends circa 1915-1925
- Positive prints - Neva King's album of family, farm, and friends circa 1915-1925
- Positive prints - Ruth King's album of family and friends 1920s
- Positive prints - Hazel King's album of family and friends 1920s
- Positive prints - Hazel King's album of family and friends 1920s
- Positive prints - Hazel King's album of Honolulu, friends, nursing friends 1920s
- Positive prints - Album of Neva and Ruth King and friends 1920s
- Positive prints - Black & white photos of Bowling Green Normal College buildings 1920s
- Positive prints - Hazel King's album of farm, family, Bowling Green Normal College, Honolulu, friends, and nursing friends 1920s-1930s
- Positive prints - Willys-Overland company workers, 1937, 1952, 1953
- Positive prints - Black & white class photo and color family photos of Madaline Allen Wills 1923, 1963
- Positive prints - Album of King family, friends, and farmhouse 1929?
- Positive prints - Nursing photos of King sisters at Toledo Hospital School of Nursing, staff, class photos 1920s-1960s
- Positive prints - Unidentified nursing photos 1920s, 1950s, 1960s
- Positive prints - Album of King family (incl. Joan Brisbin), friends, nursing friends 1925-1950
- Positive prints - Black & white photos of Bob Wills, 1930-1951
- Positive prints - Vacation photos (mainly Fort Knox, KY, Mohawk Lake, NY, Rockland, ME, Crawford Notch, NH), and Toledo Hospital, King family, friends 1930?, 1932
- Positive prints - Album of Neva King, Lambert family members, nurses, Toledo Hospital, friends, and Joan Brisbin circa 1938-1946
- Positive prints - Photos of Joan Brisbin at birthday party? July 16, 1940
- Positive prints - Pictures of grade school classes taught by Nell Wills 1944-1951, 1953-1956, 1957-1963
- Positive prints - Album of Willys-Overland, anniversary party?, U.S. mail truck circa 1950
- Positive prints - Toledo Hospital & hospital addition William Roche Memorial Hospital in Toledo 1951, 1955, n.d.
- Positive prints - Georgia King (reunion?) 1957
- Positive prints - Color prints of Faye Wills 1968
- Scrapbooks - Family scrapbook of King sisters, including graduation and engagement announcements, photos, Christmas cards, and newsclippings 1912-1953
- Scrapbooks - "My Senior Memories", includings photos, autographs, concert ticket of Joan Brisbin 1949
- Positive prints - Mounted photo, Peter King's mother, Sarah Jane Adams circa 1900
- Positive prints - Family portrait of Peter & Georgia King, Neva King Lambert, Hazel King Schneider, Ruth King Brisbin, and Joan Brisbin circa 1939
Transfers to General Collection
- Ross Township School personnel listing (1960-1961)
- Elmwood High School commencement brochure (1972)
- Bowling Green city directory (1975)
- First Presbyterian Church directory (1975-1976)
- Bowling Green State University brochure
- Bowling Green Junior High School booklet
- D.A.R. items
- Pennsylvania Central Railroad agreements
- Bowling Green High School "Scarlet Parrot"
- Willys-Overland Motors union agreements
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy