Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Joseph Catholic Church (Monroeville, Ohio) - MS 253 mf
The records of St. Joseph Catholic Church, 1863 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in November 2001, with the cooperation of Father Lawrence C. Sharf of St. Joseph Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in November 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The Catholics in the area of Monroeville began receiving mass as a Station of Peru sometime during the 1850's. In 1861, Father F. X. Obermueller, the resident priest of St. Peter Catholic Church in Norwalk, began visiting the Catholic settlers. During this same year he purchased a hall and converted it into a temporary place of worship.
The parish first permanent church was purchased in 1863. It was a lot that contained a Methodist meeting house. The parish converted it into a church. Soon after the meeting house was converted the parish received their first resident pastor, Father Anthony J. Abel.
The parish during this time experienced a large growth in membership. In 1873, a new brick church was completed. During this same year a financial panic occurred and many people moved out of the area. This dropped the number of families in the congregation from 150 to 95. Several years later, the population began to rebound and membership in the church began to grow. Due to the growth a new school was built as well as the purchase of more lots to expand the cemetery and rectory.
In 1964, the interior of the church was completely remodeled to conform to the standards of Vatican Council II.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 249 - 252.
- Baptisms, 1863 - 1923
- Record Book, 1865 - 1922
- First Communions
- Record Book, 1923 - 2001
- First Communions
- Marriages, 1864 - 1922
- Deaths, 1863 - 1917
- Deaths, 1923 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1923 - 1960
- Baptisms, 1960 - 1988
- Baptisms, 1988 - 2001
- Marriages, 1923 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy