Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
American Lung Association (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 245
The American Lung Association collection documents from 1920 to 1979 the progress of local health association campaigns against tuberculosis and respiratory diseases. Through the sale of Christmas seals, sponsoring of chest x-rays, and supporting public health education programs, these groups hoped to prevent the future spread of such diseases and promote good health. The health activities of Toledo and six northwestern Ohio counties (Lucas, Defiance, Fulton, Henry, Williams, and Wood) are detailed in organizational minutes, correspondence, subject files, financial records and scrapbooks which provide additional information concerning the relationship between local, state, and national tuberculosis and respiratory disease associations.
The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections in May 1982 by Dr. John Ray, executive director of the then-named Northwestern Ohio Lung Association, with an addition from Emmy Hann of materials belonging to Dr. William Hann in April 2010. No restrictions have been placed on the research use of this collection. The register was prepared by F. N. Honneffer in December 1982, with revisions by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in May 2010.
The American Lung Association was a merger of the Toledo/Lucas, Defiance, Henry, Fulton, Williams, and Wood County tuberculosis and health associations in June 1973. At that time, the newly formed association was called the Northwestern Ohio Lung Association; in 1984 the name was changed to the American Lung Association. This association was conceived in a united effort to combat not simply tuberculosis but rather all lung ailments and to promote good health through non-smoking and clean air campaigns.
Prior to the establishment of the Northwestern Ohio Lung Association, the county tuberculosis and health associations functioned independently until April 1970, when Fulton and Henry Counties formed the Northwestern Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease Association, anticipating the future inclusion of the other counties. At that time, the Ohio Tuberculosis and Health Association was engaged in a state-wide reorganization plan to encourage several county chapters to merge into larger organizations in an effort to cut costs, enable hiring of trained professionals and develop more effective programming. In June 1972, the six county Christmas seal organizations merged, creating the Northwestern Christmas Seal Association, and a year later founded the Northwestern Ohio Lung Association.
The American Lung Association collection contains minutes from Toledo/Lucas County, Defiance, Fulton, Henry, Williams, and Wood County Associations. In addition, the Northwestern Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease Association, assorted Toledo-based organizations, and other Ohio Tuberculosis Association minutes are included. The great bulk of minutes are those of the Toledo Public Health Association and later the Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County. They also are the most complete and inclusive set of minutes in the collection, spanning over forty years of health service. The strength of these Toledo proceedings lie in their detailed coverage of Christmas seal campaigns in that city and their discussion of health camp activities, fresh air school, tuberculosis sanitorium construction and x-ray programs. In addition, the Fulton County minutes contain an interesting history of Christmas seals in that county as well as brief notes from the secretary's book dating back to 1909.
Included in this collection is a large assortment of correspondence, much of which pertains to Toledo. The Toledo Christmas seal and health association correspondence is separately filed and listed. However, the subject files contain additional correspondence related to the health camps, William Roche Hospital construction and many other assorted topics.
Both the subject files and the scrapbooks are the central core of the American Lung Association collection. The subject files again are related primarily to Toledo concentrating on the city health campaigns. Tuberculosis surveys of Toledo conducted as early as 1923 and graphs, charts, and statistical information focusing on tuberculosis in the city provide useful data. Health camp reports, manuals explaining the operating of x-ray equipment, tuberculosis and health related studies also form a significant part of the collection. In addition, there are a number of publicity folders focusing on radio, television and newspaper advertising for the Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County. Curative techniques such as sun baths, open air schools, and of course nutrition programs for undernourished children are discussed along with emphasis on the role of sanatoria. Some Works Progress Administration materials can be located in the subject files and also are mentioned in the Toledo minutes and scrapbooks. The remainder of the subject files pertain to a few out-of-state health associations, health education programs and general fund-raising.
The collection's scrapbooks focus primarily on Toledo's tuberculosis and health activities and secondly on the Northwestern Ohio Lung Association. The scrapbooks consist almost entirely of northwestern Ohio news clippings, although some letters, pamphlets, and other printed material may be located within the scrapbooks. The Toledo scrapbooks span almost fifty years, dating from 1923 to 1973, with a five-year gap occurring between 1929 and 1933. They contain Toledo health camp news, information about Christmas seal drives, x-ray program announcements and organization activity updates. The other counties also have their respective scrapbooks. However, they are not as complete and well-organized. No Wood County scrapbook is contained in the collection, but information concerning the Wood County Tuberculosis and Health Association can be found in the Northwestern Christmas Seal Association and Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbooks. In addition, articles pertaining to the northwestern Christmas Seal Association for June to December 1972 may be found under those dates in the scrapbook of the Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County.
The collection's printed material consists primarily of Tuberculosis and Christmas Seal pamphlets along with assorted Christmas seals from 1923 to 1976. One of the folders in particular has an assortment of early diagnosis pamphlets for the prevention of tuberculosis while other printed materials tell the history of the Christmas Seal and discuss facts about tuberculosis. Another pamphlet examines the use of the sun cure at a Swiss Alpine Heliotherapic Resort. Two large tuberculosis posters also are part of the collection's printed materials and various certificates and flyers are located throughout the collection.
Miscellaneous photographs from the participating counties and health associations also are included, most of which pertain to Toledo. The subject material, however, is much the same for all the counties, focusing on groups stuffing Christmas seal envelopes, individuals receiving skin tests and chest x-rays, and photos of association officers. The photographs of the Toledo health camp children, many of which appeared in the Toledo newspapers, are another highlight of this collection.
There is a small amount of added material from Dr. William Hann, who had been a member of the Wood County Tuberculosis & Health Association which became part of the Northwest Ohio Lung Association and later representing that organization he was on the Board and Executive Committee of the Ohio Lung Association. While some of this duplicates material in the main body of the collection, there are also files with a specific focus on Wood County, such as anti-smoking campaign material, as well as reports and memos used by Hann in his duties in the statewide associations.
MINUTES--TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION
February 1922-August 1954, 1957, 1967, n.d.
Includes articles of incorporation for both Ohio and Michigan, constitutions and constitutional correspondence, plans of organization and operation, trustee minutes for both Ohio and Michigan, executive committee minutes, and general association minutes. Within the minutes are annual reports, health camp reports, resolutions, memos and various other committee minutes.
MINUTES--TUBERCULOSIS SOCIETY OF TOLEDO AND LUCAS COUNTY
September 1954-January 1969.
Includes executive committee minutes, board of directors minutes, annual meeting minutes, list of officers and directors, annual reports, financial reports, current operation reports, plans of work, resolutions, proxies, state meeting reports and correspondence.
MINUTES--DEFIANCE COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
Includes annual report, letter announcing meeting, program, speech, and news clippings.
MINUTES--FULTON COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
(Fulton County Health League prior to 1932)
October 1926-April 1965 (1935-1956, holdings are scattered)
Includes executive committee minutes, board of directors minutes, annual meeting minutes, Christmas Seal committee minutes, lists of officers and directors, annual reports, financial reports, story of Christmas seals in Fulton County in 1910, brief Christmas seal sale notes from secretary's book (1909-1927), pamphlets, correspondence and newspaper articles.
MINUTES--HENRY COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
April 1960-April 1970, scattered dates
Includes executive committee minutes, board of directors minutes, annual and semi-annual meeting minutes and programs, financial reports, annual reports, and correspondence.
MINUTES--WILLIAMS COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
March 1960-April 1972, January 1979
Includes board meeting minutes, annual meeting minutes, financial reports, lists of officers and directors, annual reports, annual meeting programs and newspaper articles.
MINUTES--WOOD COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
March 1963-May 1972
Includes board of directors minutes, executive program and advisory committee minutes, annual meeting minutes, annual reports and agendas, resolutions and correspondence.
MINUTES--NORTHWESTERN TUBERCULOSIS AND RESPIRATORY DISEASE ASSOCIATION
May 1970-April 1972
Includes board of directors minutes, executive, program, and advisory committee minutes, annual meeting minutes, annual reports and agendas, resolutions, and correspondence.
MINUTES--COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC HEALTH OF THE TOLEDO CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
January, February, November 1924
Includes minutes of the public health committee
MINUTES--GREATER TOLEDO NUTRITION ASSOCIATION
February 1962-April 1965
Includes association minutes, meeting announcements, nutritional conference programs, news releases, news articles, and related correspondence.
MINUTES--INTERAGENCY COMMITTEE ON SMOKING AND HEALTH OF TOLEDO AND LUCAS COUNTY
February 1964-January 1971, n.d.
Includes committee minutes, surveys of attitudes toward smoking, anti-smoking literature and correspondence and northwestern Ohio action on smoking and health (No Ash) information.
MINUTES--LUCAS COUNTY SCHOOL HEALTH COUNCIL
March 1961-April 1965
Includes council minutes, philosophy of school health council, Lake Hope conference reports, and scattered correspondence.
MINUTES--TOLEDO DAY NURSERY
1956, November 1957-May 1961
Includes board minutes, executive committee minutes, other committee minutes, inventory and appraisal of securities, and financial report.
MINUTES--LIMA/NORTHWEST DISTRICT REHABILITATION COMMITTEE
May 1955-January 1971
Includes Lima district rehabilitation committee minutes, constitution, committee minutes, correspondence.
MINUTES--OTHER OHIO TUBERCULOSIS ASSOCIATIONS
Cincinnati: April 1964-June 1965
Cleveland and Cuyahoga County: March-June 1965
Columbus: September 1964-March 1965
Montgomery County: June 1964-March 1965
Stark County: February-April 1965
Summit County: March 1965
Includes board of trustees, executive committee or board of directors minutes from the various associations.
TOLEDO CHRISTMAS SEAL CORRESPONDENCE
1931, 1942, 1961-1965
Includes letter containing Christmas Seal story for the William Roche Sanatorium, list of Christmas Seal chairmen, form letter from Jacqueline Kennedy (1962 National Honorary Christmas Seal Chairman), letter detailing the use of Christmas Seal donation, letter of complaint, letter discussing extent of TB in Toledo as of 1965, and general correspondence.
TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION/TB SOCIETY OF TOLEDO AND LUCAS COUNTY
July 1925-March 1965 (scattered holdings)
Includes resignation, correspondence concerning housing, sanitation, health camps, constitutions, finances, hospitals, nursing, mobile x-ray unit, Michigan health education program, conferences, meetings, and general organizational correspondence.
AMERICAN PHARMACEUTICAL ASSOCIATION
September 1964, February 1965, March 1965
Includes brief discussion of APH Health Center Project.
CHILDHOOD TYPE TUBERCULOSIS: A Report of Ten Years Activity (1921-1931) at Lymanhurst School for Tuberculosis Children
Includes primarily a medical analysis of TB cases.
1934 (Diphtheria), 1956-1961 (Polio)
Includes assorted correspondence, statistics, news clippings, and pamphlets concerning diphtheria and polio.
EARLY DIAGNOSIS CAMPAIGN
Includes correspondence and a large selection of TB educational pamphlets.
EMERGENCY NUTRITION (MILK FOR UNDERNOURISHED CHILDREN)
Includes correspondence from participating dairies and schools Lucas County Relief Administration correspondence, school milk lists, vouchers for purchases and other related correspondence.
GENERAL ELECTRIC--PURCHASE OF EQUIPMENT FOR CITY HEALTH
Includes correspondence concerning x-ray equipment orders, war production board authorization and priority assistance applications, scattered invoices and manual describing GE equipment for photo roentgenography.
GOODWILL INDUSTRIES OF TOLEDO, INC.
Includes some correspondence, general announcements and personnel and rehabilitation service report.
Includes 1955 "Graber Report" which was an evaluation of Lucas County and Toledo City Health programs and a 1957 re-examination of that report.
GREATER TOLEDO MUNICIPAL LEAGUE
July 1962-June 1965.
Includes research reports on organization and financing of health districts in Ohio, general relief in Ohio and Lucas County, and property tax rates of large Ohio cities, lists of officers, bulletins of activities, meeting announcements and assorted correspondence.
GREATER TOLEDO NUTRITION ASSOCIATION
Includes nutrition teaching aids
HEALTH FOR ALL PUBLICITY
July 1961-May 1962
Includes articles for newspaper column aimed at educating the public about TB
Includes attendance records, health camp progress reports, directory of summer camps of children, rules and regulations for operating health camps, operation licenses, sanitation standards, camp fund-raising news releases, news clippings, lists of donations, financial statements, budget materials, invoices, lists of expenses, purchase contract for selling the Toledo Health Camp, health techniques, and correspondence related to the operation of the health camps. Includes information for Harrison Nutrition Camp, Sam Davis Health Camp, and Toledo Public Health Association Health Camp.
HEALTH AND SANITATION
1931-1961 (scattered holdings)
Arranged by subject including sewage disposal and safe water, street cleaning, and pigeon control. Includes water analysis slips, notes on existing sewage treatment plant at Toledo, notes on investigation of two garage incinerators in Toledo, US Department of Interior publications on pigeon control, news clippings, correspondence and memos related to sanitation.
HEALTH EDUCATORS' CONFERENCE
Includes description of TB eradication programs, health education definitions, general information concerning Florence Fogle, Associate Professor of Health Education at OSU and related health education correspondence.
April 23-24, 1964 (Information dated as early as March 1963)
Includes notices of exhibitors, exhibitors guide, booth arrangement diagrams, time schedules, general health fair literature, evaluations of health fair and scattered correspondence
HEISSER, CARL J.
1955-1962 (scattered holdings)
Includes miscellaneous correspondence, qualification lists and articles concerning Heisser, director of the TB Society of Toledo and Lucas County.
INDEPENDENT FUND-RAISING THROUGH THE CHRISTMAS SEAL CAMPAIGN
Includes reprinted magazine articles discussing fund raising and charities, materials focusing on drives in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County and Toledo, newspaper articles, manual on how to maintain an independent Christmas seal campaign in your community, policy position sheets of various charitable organizations, a history of federal fund-raising, discussion of voluntarism and assorted correspondence.
INTERNATIONAL UNION AGAINST TUBERCULOSIS
Includes publication of the international union against TB and a few printed materials.
LUCAS COUNTY COMMUNITY HEALTH STUDY
Includes communicable disease subcommittee responsibilities and meeting memorandum, National Commission on Community Health Services, Inc. news releases, chronic illness and handicapped conditions, subcommittee, steering committee, mental health program facilities for Lucas County listings, assorted pamphlets and some correspondence.
MICHIGAN TUBERCULOSIS ASSOCIATION
Includes Michigan TB fact sheet, health bulletins, annual meeting newsletters, Michigan-Ohio activation materials, school tuberculin testing program information and the play, TB or Not TB
MIGRANT HEALTH PROGRAM
Includes Lucas County and government publications, specifically for migrants, newsletter, news releases, annual progress report, and migrant affairs coordinating committee minutes.
NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF TUBERCULOSIS SECRETARIES
February 9, 1946
Includes a sheet discussing purposes and objectives of this conference.
NATIONAL HEALTH ASSOCIATIONS
Includes materials concentrating on tuberculin testing in schools, why people get x-rays, and a report on the interest of the national voluntary health agency in occupational health programming.
NATIONAL TUBERCULOSIS ASSOCIATION CHRISTMAS SEAL CLINIC
Includes guides for building committees, recruitment of volunteers, and assorted forms.
OHIO REHABILITATION ASSOCIATION
Includes disability and rehabilitation fact sheet, publication of newer community services, Mt. Vernon State Hospital patient listing by county, rehabilitation definitions and notes, meeting programs and some correspondence.
OUT OF STATE TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
1961, 1963, n.d.
Includes two speeches delivered at health conferences, a proposed practical plan for program development in Illinois and talks presented at the 15th Annual Program Planning Seminar, Pere Marquette State Park.
PATIENT AND FAMILY EDUCATION
1957, 1959, 1960, 1964
Includes information sheets concerning socio-economic reconditioning of the TB patient and TB patient's and family education, a study of beliefs and opinions of TB patients in Roche Memorial Hospital and general correspondence.
PROGRAM OF CHEST X-RAYS IN TOLEDO AND OHIO.
PICKLER X-RAY CORPORATION
1946, 1947, n.d.
Includes orders of equipment, descriptions of the Pickler Minograph bus and equipment.
ROBERTS TOLEDO RUBBER COMPANY PARTICIPATION IN X-RAY PROGRAM
Includes promotional information for employee chest x-rays, related correspondence, and several pamphlets.
SELECTIVE SERVICE (1941) AND VETERANS' ADMINISTRATION (1946) X-RAY PROGRAM
Includes correspondence detailing examination of selective service selectees, follow-up of men examined and rejected from respective counties, and copy of General Bradley's orders requesting chest x-rays on all VA beneficiaries.
TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION AMBULATORY CHEST X-RAY UNIT
Includes directions for operating the unit.
PUBLICITY-FLOURNEY AND GIBBS
Includes releases to newspapers, radio and television for promotion of activities and health information of the TB Society of Toledo and Lucas County, public address announcements and related correspondence.
PUBLICITY NEWS RELEASES
1963-1964, 1966-1967, 1969-1970
Includes releases to newspapers, radio, and television
PUBLIC RELATIONS TRENDS AND TECHNIQUES
Includes public relations manuals.
Includes reprinted magazine articles concerning sanatorium patients and the nature of sanatoria.
SCHOOL PRESS PROJECT
Includes TB and health fact sheets, rules for school health projects, some school press project newspapers, certificates, news releases, newspaper clippings, and related correspondence.
SOCIETY OF PUBLIC HEALTH EDUCATORS
Includes Board meeting highlights, speeches delivered by presidents of organizations, rosters, newsletters, bylaws, memoranda and some correspondence.
TOLEDO BOARD OF HEALTH--CITY HEALTH COMMISSIONERS
1932, 1933, 1947
Includes related correspondence and one set of minutes.
TOLEDO CHRISTMAS CHEER COMMITTEE
1931-1939 (scattered holdings)
Includes Christmas seal package contest information, invoices for merchandise, list of volunteers, toy salvage campaign information.
TOLEDO CHRISTMAS SEAL CAMPAIGN CONTEST
Includes correspondence, memos, contest poster, pamphlet and certificate.
TOLEDO CITY COUNCIL HEARING--FOOD HANDLERS
Includes resolution for periodic chest x-rays of food handlers, sheet discussing change in trends--TB control, weekly bulletins of Toledo Food Distributors Association, copies of Toledo City Journal, newspaper clippings, and some correspondence.
TOLEDO COMMUNITY ADVERTISING FUND
1957-1964 (scattered holdings)
Includes general correspondence, memos and lists of promotional items for TB Society of Toledo and Lucas County advertising.
TOLEDO COMMUNITY CHEST
1925-1948 (scattered holdings)
Includes report of relationship principles of TB Associations and Community Chests, a report of the executive secretary, financial listing of salaries, income, disbursements, memos, and some correspondence.
TOLEDO GIRL SCOUT COUNCIL
1949-1955 (scattered holdings)
Includes certificate given to Toledo Public Health Association, correspondence concerning Camp Libbey and Christmas seals.
TOLEDO HEALTH CENTER/DEPARTMENT
Includes Toledo Health Center booklet, and information on x-ray bus.
TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION HISTORY
1941-1956 (scattered holdings)
Includes TB organization outline, history of the health association, listing of important dates, and some correspondence.
TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION PROMOTIONS
1924-1946 (scattered holdings)
Includes public health flyers, discussion of educational and publicity programs of 1924, discussion of Toledo Health Service and essay on TB.
TOLEDO RED CROSS
Includes newsletters and annual reports.
TOLEDO SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM
Includes menus and food cost lists as well as some correspondence.
TOLEDO TUBERCULOSIS HOSPITAL--WILLIAM ROCHE
1933-1935, 1937, n.d.
Includes radio talk pertaining to TB statistics, map of Ohio sanatoria, memos, and correspondence related to the Roche Sanatorium plans for construction.
TOLEDO TUBERCULOSIS SURVEYS
1923, 1924, n.d.
Includes a study of the TB situation in Toledo and a series of articles on TB with special reference to the problem of prevention in Toledo, recommendations and comments.
1920-1948 (scattered holdings)
Includes tables of TB deaths and rates, TB flyers, TB x-ray statistics, TB survey conducted by US Public Health Service, Ohio State Department of Health, Toledo Department of Health and related correspondence.
TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION/TUBERCULOSIS SOCIETY OF TOLEDO AND LUCAS COUNTY LEGAL FILE
1924-1968 (scattered holdings)
Includes corrsepondence concerning incorporation, legacies bequeathed to the organization, resolutions of directors regarding bank account and authorized parties, power of attorney, appointments of agent, certificates of continued existence and other related correspondence.
TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION
Includes financial reports, statements of receipts and expenses for Christmas seal sale (1926) daily record of Christmas seal receipts, lists of deposits and voucher journal, report of planning and budget committee.
TUBERCULOSIS SOCIETY OF TOLEDO AND LUCAS COUNTY
Includes acknowledgements of orders from the Ohio TB and Health Association.
HEALTH ASSOCIATIONS FINANCIAL RECORDS
DEFIANCE COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
FULTON COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
HENRY COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
WILLIAMS COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
Can include financial ledgers, financial statements, balance sheets, budgets, program planning sheets, TB program fact sheets, school program fact sheets, Christmas seal campaign reports, information blanks for committee on qualification for representation on Board of Directors of Ohio TB and Health Association, and some correspondence.
TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION SCRAPBOOKS
TUBERCULOSIS SOCIETY OF TOLEDO AND LUCAS COUNTY HEALTH ASSOCIATION SCRAPBOOKS
DEFIANCE COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
April 1962-April 1970
FULTON COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
HENRY COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
WILLIAMS COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATION
1959-March 1970, n.d.
NORTHWESTERN TUBERCULOSIS AND RESPRIATORY DISEASE ASSOCIATION
April 1970-June 1972
NORTHWESTERN CHRISTMAS SEAL ASSOCIATION
NORTHWESTERN OHIO LUNG ASSOCIATION
June 1973-September 1978
Arranged chronologically. Some volumes are oversized and are located at the end of the inventory
Includes an extensive collection of northwestern Ohio newspaper clippings focusing on various TB and Health Association activities such as Christmas seal campaigns, x-ray programs, general organization news, and TB and health updates. Scrapbooks may contain some printed material.
CHRISTMAS SEAL PAMPHLETS AND CHRISTMAS SEALS
1920-1976 (scattered holdings)
Includes Christmas seal sale promotional materials, the story of the Christmas Seal publication, assorted pamphlets, newsclippings concerning collecting Christmas seals and the actual seals.
LUCAS COUNTY SCHOOL HEALTH COUNCIL PAMPHLETS
Includes report of Lucas County General Health District, University of Michigan School of Public Health publication, Dental Health Guide for Teachers, and assorted pamphlets and publications.
1920-1970 (scattered holdings)
Includes general TB pamphlets, a sun cure pamphlet, pulmonary TB pamphlet, and The Calcified Cliffs--a story for TB patients.
TOLEDO PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION
1926, ca. 1930, 1939
Includes negatives of health camp gatherings and assorted pictures of children at the health camp.
TUBERCULOSIS SOCIETY OF TOLEDO AND LUCAS COUNTY
ca. 1950-1960, 1957, 1964-1969
Includes group photos taken at meetings, members, Christmas seal volunteers, and mobile x-ray units.
DEFIANCE, FULTON, HENRY, AND WILLIAMS COUNTY TUBERCULOSIS AND HEALTH ASSOCIATIONS
Arranged by association and chronologically.
Includes photos of Christmas seal activities, people receiving chest x-rays and skin tests, health exhibits, and TB and Health Associations members
NORTHWESTERN OHIO LUNG ASSOCIATION
Includes photo of Miss Sue of Romper Room, intensive care nurses, and photos of president Virginia Kane.
Includes unidentified TB and Health Associations photos.
Toledo Public Health Association
1. Articles of incorporation, correspondence, 1924, 1926-1927
2. Constitution and correspondence, 1924-1967
3. Plan of Work, 1923-1925
4. Association Minutes, February 1922-February 1939
5. Executive Committee/Trustees Minutes, February 1924-April 1940
6. Association/Executive Committee/Trustees Minutes, August 1940-August 1954
Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County
7. Minutes, September 1954-1957
8. Minutes 1958-1961
9. Minutes, February 1962-1964
10. Minutes, February 1965-March 1967
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County. Minutes. May 1967-January 1969
- Defiance County Tuberculosis and Health Association. Minutes, March-April 1965
- Fulton County Tuberculosis and Health Association. Minutes, October 1926-1931
- Fulton County Tuberculosis and Health Association. Minutes, 1932-April 1965 (scattered)
- Henry County Tuberculosis and Health Association. Minutes, April 1960-April 1970 (scattered)
- Williams County Tuberculosis and Health Association. Minutes, March 1960-April 1972 (scattered), January 1979
- Wood County Tuberculosis and Health Association. Minutes. March 1963-October 1969
- Wood County Tuberculosis and Health Association. Minutes. 1970-May 1972
- Northwestern Tuberculosis and Health Association. Minutes. May 1970-April 1972
- Committee on Public Health of the Chamber of Commerce. Minutes, January, February, November 1924
- Greater Toledo Nutrition Association. Minutes, February 1962-April 1965
- Interagency Committee on Smoking and Health. Minutes. February 1964-January 1971, n.d.
- Lucas County School Health Council. Minutes, March 1961-April 1965
- Toledo Day Nursery. Minutes, 1956, November 1957-May 1961
- Northwest District Rehabilitation Committee. Minutes, May 1955-September 1965
- Northwest District Rehabilitation Committee. Minutes, 1966-January 1971
- Other Ohio Tuberculosis Associations Boards (Cincinnati, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County). Minutes, 1964-1965
- Other Ohio Tuberculosis Associations Boards (Columbus, Montgomery County, Stark County,
- Summit County). Minutes, 1964-1965
- Toledo Christmas Seal correspondence, 1931, 1942, 1961-1965
- Toledo Public Health Association/Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County.
- Correspondence, July 1925-March 1965 (scattered)
- American Pharmaceutical Association. Correspondence, 1964, 1965
- Childhood Tuberculosis report, 1932
- Diphtheria-Polio, 1934, 1956-1961
- Early diagnosis campaign, 1929-1943, n.d.
- Emergency nutrition, 1934-1936
- General Electric. Purchase of equipment, 1943
- Goodwill Industries, 1957-1961, n.d.
- "Graber Report", 1955, 1957
- Greater Toledo Municipal League, July 1962-June 1965
- Greater Toledo Nutrition Association, 1962, n.d.
- Health for All. Publicity, July 1961-May 1962
- Health Camp, 1924-1925
- Health Camp, 1927-1939, n.d.
- Health Camp, 1940
- Health Camp, 1941
- Health Camp--directory, 1942
- Health Camp, 1942-1947, 1951
- Health and sanitation, 1931-1961 (scattered)
- Health Educators' conferences, 1962-1965
- Health Fair (April 23-26, 1964), March 1963-June 1964
- Heisser, Carl J., 1955-1962 (scattered)
- Independent fund-raising through Christmas seals--general, 1958-1965
- Independent fund-raising through Christmas seals--local and state, 1959-1965
- Independent fund-raising through Christmas seals--"how to", 1963
- International Union--Tuberculosis, 1963, 1964
- Lucas County Community Health Study, 1963-1965
- Michigan Tuberculosis Association, 1956-1962, n.d.
- Migrant Health program, 1960-1965
- National Conference of Tuberculosis Secretaries, February 9, 1946
- National Health Associations, 1958, 1960-1961
- National Tuberculosis Association--Christmas Seal Clinic, 1965, n.d.
- Ohio Rehabilitation Association, 1958, 1960-1961
- Out of State Tuberculosis and Health Associations, 1961, 1963, n.d.
- Patient and family education, 1957, 1959, 1960, 1964
- Picker X-Ray Corporation, 1946, 1947, n.d.
- Publicity--Flournoy and Gibbs, 1954-1955, 1957-1958
- Publicity--Flournoy and Gibbs, 1959-1960
- Publicity--Flournoy and Gibbs, 1961
- Publicity--Flournoy and Gibbs, 1962
- Publicity--Flournoy and Gibbs, 1963
- Publicity--news releases, 1963-1964, 1966-1967, 1969-1970
- Public relations trends and techniques, 1962
- Roberts Toledo Rubber Company--participation in x-ray program, 1954, 1956-1957
- Sanatoria, 1928-1933
- School Press Project, 1954, 1962-1964
- Selective Service/Veterans' Administration x-ray program, 1941, 1946
- Society of Public Health Educators, Inc., 1963-1965
- Toledo Board of Health/City Health Commissioners, 1932, 1933, 1947
- Toledo Christmas Cheer committee, 1931-1939 (scattered)
- Toledo Christmas Seal campaign/gas company campaign, 1956-1957
- Toledo City Council hearing--food handlers, 1956-1957
- Toledo Community advertising fund, 1957-1964 (scattered)
- Toledo Community Chest, 1925-1948 (scattered)
- Toledo Girl Scout Council, 1949-1955 (scattered)
- Toledo Health Center/Department, 1954, 1958-1961
- Toledo Public Health Association--ambulatory chest x-ray unit, 1964, n.d.
- Toledo Public Health Association--history, 1941-1956 (scattered)
- Toledo Public Health Association--public health promotions, 1924-1946 (scattered)
- Toledo Red Cross, 1958-1963
- Toledo School Lunch Program, 1938-1939
- Toledo Tuberculosis Hospital (William Roche), 1933-1935, 1937, n.d.
- Toledo Tuberculosis Surveys, 1923, 1924, n.d.
- Tuberculosis Statistics, 1920-1948 (scattered)
- Toledo Public Health Association/Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County--legal file, 1924-1968 (scattered)
- Toledo Public Health Association financial statements, 1924-1926
- Toledo Public Health Association budgets, 1938-1946
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County order acknowledgments, 1962-1965
- Defiance County Tuberculosis and Health Association financial ledgers, 1962-1970
- Fulton County Tuberculosis and Health Association financial statements, 1952-1966
- Henry County Tuberculosis and Health Association budgets and financial statements, 1964-1967
- Williams County Tuberculosis and Health Association budgets and financial statements, 1966-1971
- Toledo Community Chest ledger sheets, 1939-1940
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1923 Christmas Seal Campaign 1923-1924
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1924 Christmas Seal Campaign, 1924
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1925 Christmas Seal Campaign, 1925-1926
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1927
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1928-1929
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1933-June 1934
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, July-December 1934
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, January-May 1935
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, June-August 1935
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, September-December 1935
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, January-December 1936
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, January-July 1937
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, August-December 1937
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, January-June 1938
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, July-December 1938
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, January-December 1939
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1940
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1941
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1942
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1943
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, 1944
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, February 1945-December 1946
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, January 1947-December 1948
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, January 1949-December 1950
- Toledo Public Health Association scrapbook, January 1951-December 1952
- Toledo Public Health Association/Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, January 1953-December 1954
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, January 1955-December 1956
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, January-December 1957
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, January 1958-December 1960
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, January 1961-December 1965
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, January-December 1966
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, January-December 1967
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, February 1968-December 1969
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, January 1970-May 1971
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, September 1971-August 1972
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County scrapbook, September-December 1972
- Defiance County Tuberculosis and Health Association scrapbook, April 1962-December 1965
- Defiance County Tuberculosis and Health Association scrapbook, January 1966-April 1970
- Williams County Tuberculosis and Health Association scrapbook, 1959-March 1970, n.d.
- Northwestern Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease Association scrapbook, April 1970-June 1972
- Northwestern Christmas Seal Association scrapbook, January-May 1973
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, June-October 1973
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, November-December 1973
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, January-February 1974
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, March-October 1974
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, November 1974-July 1975
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, August-December 1975
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, January-December 1976
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, January-December 1977
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association scrapbook, January-September 1978
- Christmas Seal pamphlets/Christmas seals, 1920-1976 (scattered)
- Lucas County School Health Council pamphlets, 1961-1965
- Tuberculosis pamphlets, 1920s-1970 (scattered)
- Toledo Public Health Association, camp photographs (17 items), 1926, ca. 1930, 1939
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County photographs (4 items), 1957, 1965, 1966
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County photographs (27 items) 1964-1969
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo and Lucas County photographs (9 items) ca. 1950-1960
- Defiance County Tuberculosis and Health Association photographs (6 items) 1962, 1964, 1968
- Fulton County Tuberculosis and Health Association photographs (6 items) 1965, 1966
- Henry County Tuberculosis and Health Association photographs (21 items) 1963-1966
- Williams County Tuberculosis and Health Association photographs (10 items) 1964, 1966-1967
- Northwestern Ohio Lung Association photographs (4 items) 1975
- Miscellaneous photographs (4 items), 1964-1965
- Fulton County Tuberculosis and Health Association scrapbook, 1963-1970
- Henry County Tuberculosis and Health Association scrapbook, 1959-1970
- Posters, 1952, 1964
- Constitution/bylaws (Wood County Tuberculosis Society) 1966, 1970
- Constitution/bylaws (NWO Lung Association) 1976, 1982
- Ohio Thoracic Society Operating Code 1981-1982, n.d.
- Northwest Ohio Lung Association. Board Meeting minutes 1981-1982
- Northwest Ohio Lung Association reorganization subject file 1970-1977
- Wood County Anti-Smoking campaign material 1975-1976
- ALAO Freedom from Smoking initiatives 1983, n.d.
- NWO Lung Association Clean Air Act compliance file 1975-1981, n.d.
- Aspiring to Excellence : Lung Association Capital Campaign 1981
- National Emphysema Association 1974
- Tuberculosis Society of Toledo/Lucas County handbook 1970
- Tuberculosis and Lung Association Program Guides and handbooks, 1960-1971
- Lung Association. of NWO Committees, Reports, Minutes and memos, 1981-1982
- Lung Association. of NWO Committees, Reports, Minutes and memos, 1983-1984
- NWO Lung Association Exec. Committee/Board miscellaneous, 1975-1984
- Ohio Lung Association Committee/Board miscellaneous, 1975-1984
- Annual reports (Lung Association/Christmas Seal Association) 1972-1983 (scattered)
- Ohio Lung Association meeting reports 1975, 1979
- Ohio Lung Association report to Executive Committee, 1983-1984
- Ohio Lung Association memos 1984
- Ohio Lung Association job descriptions 1981
- NW Ohio Lung Association program of work drafts 1981, 1983-1984
- NW Ohio Lung Association financial reports & budgets 1981-1982
- History of American & Ohio Lung Association & miscellaneous 1901-1975, 2004
- Booklet "Lung Disease Changes Everything" 1976
- Basics of RD newsletter (scattered) 1972-1976
- Ohio Lung Association newsletter “Horizons” 1973, 1977, 1979 (scattered)
- American Lung Association Bulletin (scattered) 1977-1981 (scattered)
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy