Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Discoverer's Club (Findlay, Ohio) - MS 235
The records of the Discoverer's Club, Findlay, Ohio, date form 1896 to 1973. The history of this social organization is reflected in the collection which consists of organizational minutes, correspondence, financial records, literary productions, and news clippings.
The Discoverer's Club records were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in April 1982 through the cooperation of Jill Smith, Field Specialist for the Women's Studies Archives Project, and Ruth H. Frederick, President of the Discoverer's Club. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The collection was processed and the register prepared by Karen Snow, graduate assistant in history, in July 1982.
Very little is known about how the Discoverer's Club organized in 1895. The first printed program for 1896/97 lists the following officers: Mrs. Margaret Sheets, president; Miss Phoebe Gray, vice president; Miss Clara Shober, secretary; Mrs. Jennie Barnhill, treasurer. The first constitution appears in the 1900/01 program and states that the objective of the Discoverer's Club "...is the intellectual and social culture of its members."
While the Discoverers primarily has been a literary club, its members have become involved in civic projects. During the two World Wars the regular meetings were suspended and Red Cross projects were completed. Members also became involved in projects pertaining to Findlay's hospital, schools, library, and park.
The Discoverers helped establish the Findlay Federation of Women's Clubs in 1903 and became federated with the state in 1946.
The records of the Discoverer's Club of Findlay, Ohio, document the history of this literary and social organization from 1896 to 1973. The collection consists predominately of meeting minutes, club programs, correspondence, news clippings, photographs, and literary productions.
The minutes of the Discoverer's Club are very complete, dating from 1901 to 1972. Because of this fact, these records are probably the most important source of information concerning the club. They document the place of the meeting, the members present, issues discussed and voted on, elections held, programs held, and projects undertaken.
The Club correspondence, dating from 1937 through 1973, except for one letter from 1916, provides a second source of information. Relations between the Discoverer's Club and other Findlay clubs and letters from past members provide interesting insights which are not always found in the minutes. The correspondence also offers a look at the various civic projects undertaken by the Club and their charitable enterprises. This type of information also can be obtained from the numerous news clippings dating from 1899 to 1971. These clippings document the club meetings, special events, citations, and civic projects undertaken throughout the years. Another valuable resource are the club programs. These are complete from 1896 to 1970 except for the years 1918/19 and 1942/43. The programs provide information on officers and members and the various programs held and topics studied.
Complementing the above records are photographs, literary productions such as songs, poems, and speeches, and miscellaneous printed material.
Contains two copies of constitution of Discoverer's Club.
Arranged chronologically--loose paper duplicates located after bound volumes.
Includes place of meeting, members present, dues paid, issues discussed, motions and resolutions passed, programs held and projects undertaken.
Contains the names of club members, year of initiation, and in some cases, addresses. Deaths of members occasionally are noted.
PAST PRESIDENT'S LISTS
Contains the names of past club presidents and their term of service.
1916, 1937-1973, n.d.
Includes some outgoing, but predominately incoming correspondence from various civic organizations, past members and other social clubs. Much of the 1946 correspondence pertains to the history of the club.
CLASS PROPHECY OF 1895
A humorous piece prepared for a club event.
Includes rough sketches by club members of the Discoverer's history.
COLLECTION OF BOOK REVIEWS AND ARTICLES
Arranged by topic.
Contains a series of book reviews and articles given to the club by Ms. Bird E. Crane.
"CUSTOMS OF THE PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH"
October 24, 1948.
A talk given by Blanche LeVan at a club dinner.
"FROM THE GAY 90s TO THE SOARING 60s"
January 9, 1961.
A talk given by Mrs. Magoon at a club dinner concerning the various changes which occurred in the society over the decades.
Consists of a collection of poems written by club members for various events.
Includes songs used at Golden Anniversary celebration of the Discoverer's Club.
Includes budget, receipts, and expenditures of the club.
Includes news clippings on club members, meetings, citations, and special events.
September 1944-April 1948.
Includes loose pages of news clippings, committee lists, officers' names, and notes on meetings held and projects undertaken.
Consists of Ohio Federation calendars and reports for the years cited. Also included is information of scholarship funds.
January 17, 1962.
Consists of a newsletter sent by the Ohio Federation giving information on report deadlines and convention dates.
Includes a certificate of membership in and one documenting the club's contribution to the general Federation Memorial Forest.
COMPENDIUM AND QUESTION BOOK OF PARLIAMENTARY LAW
A published book which deals with the procedures of parliamentary law.
FIRST ANNUAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS LUNCHEON
May 21, 1963.
A program containing the names of Findlay Federated clubs, programs given, and award winners.
1896-1970; missing 1918/19, 1942/43.
Includes programs held each year, officers' names, special events, songs, and quotes.
c. 1900-1971 (scattered)
Includes photographs of members of Discoverer's Club with a few taken at social events.
- Minutes, February 1901-May 1903
- Minutes, September 1903-May 1908
- Minutes, September 1908-May 1913
- Minutes, September 1913-April 1921
- Minutes, September 1921-November 1928
- Minutes, December 1928-May 1937
- Minutes, September 1937-May 1946
- Minutes, September 1946-April 1954
- Minutes, September 1954-June 1960
- Minutes, September 1960-November 1966
- Minutes, December 1966-June 1971
- Minutes--duplicates, September 1960-June 1965; September 1968-July 1969; September 1971- May 1972 (scattered); n.d.
- Membership lists, 1896-1964 (scattered)
- Past presidents list, 1896-1969
- Constitution, n.d.
- Correspondence, 1937-1945 (scattered)
- Correspondence, February-March 1946
- Correspondence, April-May, December 1946
- Correspondence, 1947-1952
- Correspondence, 1953-1954
- Correspondence, 1958, 1961-1964 (scattered)
- Correspondence, 1970-1973
- Correspondence, n.d.
- Class Prophecy of 1895, n.d.
- Club histories, n.d.
- Collection of book reviews and articles by Bird E. Crane, 1935-1966
- "Customs of the Pennsylvania Dutch," by Blanche LeVan, October 24, 1948
- "From the Gay 90s to the Soaring 60s," by Mrs. Magoon, January 9, 1961
- Poems, 1917, n.d.
- Songs, 1946
- Treasurer's record book, 1955-1962
- News clippings, 1899, 1925-1950
- News clippings, 1951-1965, 1969, 1971
- Scrapbook pages, September 1944-May 1946
- Scrapbook pages, September 1946-April 1948
- Buckeye Blueprint, 1956-1958
- Bulletin, January 17, 1962
- Certificates, 1947, n.d.
- Compendium and Question Book of Parliamentary Law, by Lillian Cole-Bethel, 1892
- Annual Achievement Award program, May 21, 1963
- Programs, 1896/1897-1919/20; missing 1918/1919
- Programs, 1920/1921-1939/1940
- Programs, 1940/41-1959/1960; missing 1942/1943
- Programs, 1960/1961-1969/1970
- Photographs--13 items, ca. 1900-1971 (scattered)
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy