Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
The Hawthorne Club (Lima, Ohio) - MS 231
The records of the Hawthorne Club of Lima, Ohio (1912-May 2000) were donated to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, in March 1982, with more current records periodically being donated. The original collection was transferred by Jill Smith, field study specialist for the Women's Studies Archives Project, with the cooperation of Ada L. Nice, historian of the Hawthorne Club.
The records of this organization consist of minutes, programs, yearbooks, correspondence, news clippings, and photographs. The literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. The collection was processed and the register drafted by Karen R. Snow, graduate assistant in History, in July 1982.
The Hawthorne Club was organized on September 11, 1911, in the home of Mrs. W. M. Bacome of Lima, by a group of friends having met for a luncheon and social time. The membership at that time numbered eleven. The name "Hawthorne" was chosen and future activities were outlined. Christian ideals, philanthropic and social work were to be upheld and encouraged. White and pink were chosen as the club colors, hawthorne and carnation as the flowers, and the motto: "Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers." Mrs. R. Bacome was the first president; Mrs. E. Blank, vice president; Mrs. B. Price, secretary; Mrs. A. Bacome, treasurer; and Mrs. W. Shook, editoress. The club became an affiliate of the Lima Federation of Women's Clubs in 1956.
One major project of the Club, in the 1940s and following, was furnishing a room in the Memorial Hospital. Other projects involved supporting needy families and a myriad of community social/welfare programs and agencies. Declining membership and the advanced age of the few members remaining forced the Club regretfully to disband on May 18, 2000.
The records of the Hawthorne Club, Lima, Ohio, date from 1912 to 2000 and provide a fairly complete history of the establishment, organization and growth of this women's club. The minutes do not begin until 1947 but are complete until the Club disbanded on May 18, 2000. The minutes include information on programs given, money raised, civic projects undertaken, deaths of members, and initiation of new members. The first yearbook, 1912, is included in the collection. The yearbooks, however, are not available between 1913 and 1933. Starting with the 1934/35 yearbook, this series is complete until the Club's disbanding in May 2000. The yearbooks include information on membership and officers and programs held. Financial ledgers dating from 1948-1958, 1982-2000 provide information on membership, dues, and disbursements.
Correspondence and news clippings are scattered, but do provide some insight into the Club's activities. Photographs are available from the 1920s to the disbanding of the Club and provide a visual representation of the continuity of this Club's members.
Programs held, discussions, new members received, committee reports and tributes to deceased members. May include correspondence, and financial information.
Contains rules by which club governed and revisions made.
Includes letters written to the Club from the Lima Federation of Women's Clubs.
1967, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2000, n.d.
Includes histories of the club written by members.
Includes dues information and a record of expenses and disbursements.
Includes information on officers, membership, and programs held.
1961, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996.
Includes programs, news articles, memorabilia and photographs from anniversary celebrations.
Includes newspaper articles on the Club and its programs and meetings.
ca. 1920s-1940s, 1967-68, 1976, 1979, 1981,1983-1991.
Includes photographs of the club members. Some of the photographs are mounted on scrapbook paper.
- Minute books, October 1947-June 1950
- Minute books, September 1950-May 1953
- Minute books, September 1953-May 1959
- Minute books, May 1959-April 1962
- Minute books, May 1962-April 1964
- Minutes, May 1964-April 1969
- Minutes, May 1969-April 1975
- Minutes, September 1975-May 1983
- Minutes, September 1983-May 1991
- Minutes, September 1991-May 2000
- Bylaws, 1966-1987 (scattered)
- Correspondence, 1950-1954
- Histories, 1967-2000, n.d. (scattered)
- Financial ledgers, 1948-1958, 1982-2000
- News clippings, 1939-1995 (scattered)
- Anniversary celebration (50th), 1961
- Anniversary celebration (70th and 75th), 1981, 1986
- Anniversary celebration (80th and 85th), 1991, 1996
- Yearbooks, 1912, 1934/35-1939/40
- Yearbooks, 1940/41-1945/46
- Yearbooks, 1946/47-1949/50
- Yearbooks, 1950/51-1953/54
- Yearbooks, 1954/55-1957/58
- Yearbooks, 1958/59-1961/62
- Yearbooks, 1962/63-1965/66
- Yearbooks, 1966/67-1969/70
- Yearbooks, 1970/71-1973/74
- Yearbooks, 1974/75-1977/78
- Yearbooks, 1978/79-1981/82
- Yearbooks, 1982/83-1985/86
- Yearbooks, 1986/87-1989/90
- Yearbooks, 1990/91-1993/94
- Yearbooks, 1994/95-1999/00
- Photographs, 1920s-1940s, 1983-1991
- Photographs (scrapbook pages), 1967-1968, 1976, 1979, 1981
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy